Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

please help, bought a car on finance cos they offered us discount, slept on it, turns out not a discount at all, can we change our minds?

(7 Posts)
phoebebouffet Sat 22-Oct-11 08:47:36

Hi went to buy a car yesterday in cash, we have the savings, the sales guy said we could take finance and pay it off after 7 months and they would give us discount of 900, i said that would be pointless cos we'd end up paying it in interest, he then changed the original discount from 900 to 300 taking of the £300 fees they charge too. So we'd still have a saving of 300. ive now slept on this and woked out that we will still not save anything and we will in fact as I predicted end up paying more interest, this was 4pm yesterday is it too late to change my mind, I think we have signed something, the guy did say we could change our mind but ive just read something about the cooling off period not applying on garage forecourts.

inmysparetime Sat 22-Oct-11 08:55:50

You can pay off finance whenever you like (check the small print for any early repayment charges), so even if the garage man refuses your payment, the finance company will take it.
You should ask to see his manager, and complain that you have been mis-sold a finance agreement, and were pressured into signing despite having available funds. It was unreasonable of them to bamboozle you like that, and to not give you comparative figures when you asked directly.

GHAHSTLYGHOULYpants Sat 22-Oct-11 09:02:15

I think there is a 14 day cooling off period in all contracts, but inmysparetime makes a good point with being mis-solf a finance agreement and I would kick up a stink!

who is the finance agreement through? Black horse?

GHAHSTLYGHOULYpants Sat 22-Oct-11 09:03:37

www.blackhorse.co.uk/Motor/Default.html

you could contact them directly, and get some advice.

phoebebouffet Sat 22-Oct-11 20:24:58

thanks everyone, posted it all in a flap this morning, before driving to the garage to tell him in person we didn't want it, I didn't want to risk ringing and then we get there on monday and them claiming they forgot or didn't get a message, they were fine actually,they didn't ask why. IMSP thanks you hit the nail on the head with the phrase comparative figures, that's what I was trying to get at but i don't think he wanted to give em to us...for obvious reasons.

phoebebouffet Sat 22-Oct-11 20:26:07

i did ask them who the finance company were, can't remember what they said I know it wasn't blackhorse, I would have remembered that I think it was Northwich or North...???something or other.

inmysparetime Sat 22-Oct-11 21:47:51

Glad I could help, I like a good complain, it's great to be able to use my skills for goodgrin
Seriously, I'm glad you got it sorted, I hate it when salespeople take advantage of folk by obscuring figures and using confusing language.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now