Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Where can I sell a rare coin?

(8 Posts)
oopslateagain Thu 20-Oct-11 12:47:31

Not sure if this is the right forum, but hoping someone here has some advice. I've been selling off some old gold items, using a good mail-order company, but have a gold coin they don't deal in. I think it is worth more than the scrap gold value but I don't know anywhere reputable to sell a coin.

I have googled coin dealer (obviously) but there are literally thousands.

Has anyone here used a coin dealer that they would recommend? I live in Norfolk.

wildstrawberryplace Thu 20-Oct-11 12:53:01

Depends. What period coin is it? Where from?

oopslateagain Thu 20-Oct-11 12:56:01

It's a 1926 gold US $10 coin with an indian head on the front and an eagle on the back.

wildstrawberryplace Thu 20-Oct-11 13:31:30

Like this?

wildstrawberryplace Thu 20-Oct-11 13:32:37

Sorry you said $10 this?

wildstrawberryplace Thu 20-Oct-11 13:36:00

I have a friend who collects/sells coins - a lot are sold via Ebay these days. He routinely buys and sells coins for up to £2000 on there, there is a respected community of buyers and sellers.

With an accurate listing and a reserve price, it might be your best bet for the highest price? A dealer will need to give you less than he will sell it on for.

oopslateagain Thu 20-Oct-11 16:12:21

Wow that is a huge amount! Mine is the same as the second one you linked. I don't think mine is worth anywhere near that, it definitely isn't mint condition but that is amazing.

I didn't think of Ebay. <'duh' emoticon>

Thank you!

wildstrawberryplace Thu 20-Oct-11 17:39:34

Good luck - hope you get a good price for it!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: