Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Where can I sell a rare coin?

(8 Posts)
oopslateagain Thu 20-Oct-11 12:47:31

Not sure if this is the right forum, but hoping someone here has some advice. I've been selling off some old gold items, using a good mail-order company, but have a gold coin they don't deal in. I think it is worth more than the scrap gold value but I don't know anywhere reputable to sell a coin.

I have googled coin dealer (obviously) but there are literally thousands.

Has anyone here used a coin dealer that they would recommend? I live in Norfolk.

wildstrawberryplace Thu 20-Oct-11 12:53:01

Depends. What period coin is it? Where from?

oopslateagain Thu 20-Oct-11 12:56:01

It's a 1926 gold US $10 coin with an indian head on the front and an eagle on the back.

wildstrawberryplace Thu 20-Oct-11 13:31:30

Like this?

wildstrawberryplace Thu 20-Oct-11 13:32:37

Sorry you said $10 this?

wildstrawberryplace Thu 20-Oct-11 13:36:00

I have a friend who collects/sells coins - a lot are sold via Ebay these days. He routinely buys and sells coins for up to £2000 on there, there is a respected community of buyers and sellers.

With an accurate listing and a reserve price, it might be your best bet for the highest price? A dealer will need to give you less than he will sell it on for.

oopslateagain Thu 20-Oct-11 16:12:21

Wow that is a huge amount! Mine is the same as the second one you linked. I don't think mine is worth anywhere near that, it definitely isn't mint condition but that is amazing.

I didn't think of Ebay. <'duh' emoticon>

Thank you!

wildstrawberryplace Thu 20-Oct-11 17:39:34

Good luck - hope you get a good price for it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now