Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

tax credits from 3 years ago

(2 Posts)
miamama09 Wed 19-Oct-11 13:41:15


Does anyone know if tax credits can demand money from you, for a supposed overpayment 3 years ago?

They only started chasing me for this this year - why have they renewed for the past 2 years if I owed them money from the previous year? Would this be considered their fault, therefore I can dispute?

Also, firstly they said it was £3000, now its £1500, like I'm supposed to be grateful.

I'm still none the wiser as to where the overpayment has come from - everytime I ring them, after being on hold for 20mins I get cut off! One time I spoke to them, They said they renewed one year using the wrong income information...

any help greatly appreciated!

Rikalaily Wed 19-Oct-11 14:08:31

Yes they can, I'm paying back an overpayment from every single year from 2002-2008 (when I split with my partner, as soon as the claim ended they sent a joind bill for nearly 5k). The overpayments were thier fault and I appealed, took three years and still got told to pay it back, couldn't be bothered fighting them any more.

I set up a payment plan to pay back my half over 3 years, it finishes in Jan thankfully.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now