Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

tax credits from 3 years ago

(2 Posts)
miamama09 Wed 19-Oct-11 13:41:15

Hi,

Does anyone know if tax credits can demand money from you, for a supposed overpayment 3 years ago?

They only started chasing me for this this year - why have they renewed for the past 2 years if I owed them money from the previous year? Would this be considered their fault, therefore I can dispute?

Also, firstly they said it was £3000, now its £1500, like I'm supposed to be grateful.

I'm still none the wiser as to where the overpayment has come from - everytime I ring them, after being on hold for 20mins I get cut off! One time I spoke to them, They said they renewed one year using the wrong income information...

any help greatly appreciated!

Rikalaily Wed 19-Oct-11 14:08:31

Yes they can, I'm paying back an overpayment from every single year from 2002-2008 (when I split with my partner, as soon as the claim ended they sent a joind bill for nearly 5k). The overpayments were thier fault and I appealed, took three years and still got told to pay it back, couldn't be bothered fighting them any more.

I set up a payment plan to pay back my half over 3 years, it finishes in Jan thankfully.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: