Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Don't remember aquiring a debt

(6 Posts)
ButterP Mon 17-Oct-11 11:31:06

Due to mental health issues, I don't remember chunks of my life. I have just had a final demand for money from 1&1 internet. It is possible I got into the debt when unwell, or it could be a scam - how can I find out which?

ruddynorah Mon 17-Oct-11 11:32:22

Ask them for a copy of your contract or credit agreement.

belledechocchipcookie Mon 17-Oct-11 11:38:30

Don't admit that it's your debt, just ask them for a copy of the contract or credit agreement, as ruddynorah says.

ButterP Mon 17-Oct-11 11:54:18

Hmm, he is refusing to give me a copy of any agreement.

MoreBeta Mon 17-Oct-11 11:59:47

If they have not got a copy of your agreement or refusing to give it to you then it is either a scam or they are trying to get you to admit to the debt in writing so they can pursue you.

They cannot pursue a debt that they have no agreement for and they cannot pursue it after 7 years. Don't correspond with them further and if they do just take their letter to CAB and ask their advice.

belledechocchipcookie Mon 17-Oct-11 12:08:41

MoreBeta's right. Don't admit that you could owe them anything, if they call you then ask them to send you a letter with a copy of the agreement. IIRC, they can't chase you after 6 years. There's a statute of limitation that stops them asking you to repay a debt after 6 years but they can still put it on your credit file providing it's your debt. Just don't accept liability for it, it's down to them to prove that it's yours.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now