Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Do You Know Your State Pension Age?

(7 Posts)
CogitoErgoSometimes Fri 14-Oct-11 08:57:49

Listening to some programmes yesterday, it was clear that many women are unaware of the changes in state pension age that are going to apply in the future as male/female retirement ages are brought level and then increased. If you're not sure what's happening, this Online Pension Age Calculator could be useful

Trills Fri 14-Oct-11 09:25:00

No, I don't, and it's entirely possible that it'll change before I get there so I am not worrying about it for now.

I think more important than when you'll get your state pension is to realise how little it is and make every effort to save privately as well.

<goes off to hassle work via email about their pension scheme>

Trills Fri 14-Oct-11 09:25:23

That sound like I'm saying this is a bad thread.

It's not, it's a good thread.

CogitoErgoSometimes Fri 14-Oct-11 09:33:30

That's OK. Retirement planning can often get left behind if we're busy living in the now - so good point smile If you're under 30, things might change again before you retire but if you're in that 50-ish age-range at the moment, it's worth checking.

Gonzo33 Fri 14-Oct-11 14:47:01

67 years, 5 months and 8 days old

Saying that, it will probably be 103 by the time I get there.

CogitoErgoSometimes Fri 14-Oct-11 14:54:51

That's a pretty odd number Gonzo33. Do you fall between some changes?

LadyLapsang Sun 16-Oct-11 16:43:40

Another 17 years to go which is pretty s**t as I'm already fully paid up for my state pension having made the decision to return straight from maternity leave (not take time out of the labour market) partly because of the potential effect on my pension.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now