Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Any solicitors out there tonight?

(4 Posts)
minxthemanx Mon 10-Oct-11 20:55:38

I had a half hour consultation with a local solicitor as I am thinking of filing for divorce from DH. (Long story). I did make notes when she was talking to me, but can't make a lot of sense of what I've written regarding the finances!

If we divorce, what does DH have to provide towards the children (2 DS age 10 and 5) and me/the house. The house is in joint name. His earnings are about £32k - at the moment he puts £1800 a month into the joint account, and keeps £400 for himself. I bring home about £500 after tax, a month.
We get child allowance, but not working tax credit as over the threshold.

Mortgage of about £60k runs for another 9 years.

In my notes i've scribbled something about 1/5th of his salary and £200 per month, but no idea what this means in reality. I need to be very sure of the financial situation before I decide what to do. can anyone filll in the gaps? Am worried about how tight money will be.

OldLadyKnowsNothing Tue 11-Oct-11 01:20:08

i'm not a solicitor, but I'm guessing the 1/5 or 20% of his take-home refers to the standard CSA amounts as you have two children. In addition he has to keep a roof over his dc's heads -obviously I don't know how much your mortgage is pcm, but might the £200 have something to do with that?

I think you'd get working tax credits and so on if he left, check on entitledto www.turn2us.org.uk/benefits_search.aspx

Hope someone with more info will be along later.

minxthemanx Tue 11-Oct-11 07:40:46

Thanks, can't believe I didn't write the details down more coherently. I guess it was a bit of a tense time and I wasn't necessarily thinking straight. Am still trying him to move out for a temporary separation to give us some breathing space, but he has refused to go, saying we can work things out. I am quite worried, though, about tight money will be in the event of divorce - I don't want the children affected any more than necessary. (Not that we spend a lot, but the odd cinema visit, summer holiday, days out.) Our mortgage is just under £700 per month.

minxthemanx Tue 11-Oct-11 07:42:06

Sorry, up at 3 am looking for 'spiders' in DS2's bed while he screamed, so forgive the typos.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now