Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

What were your unexpected extras this month?

(18 Posts)
ilooklikegrotbagstoday Mon 10-Oct-11 14:17:11

Mine so far this month:

New pane of glass for the living room window as I managed to smash it swatting a fly (the fly got away too)

A new Pyrex jug as DH managed to smash it on the rare occasion that he washed up (should have just done it myself)

And about to buy a new microwave as everytime you press start it sparks and makes a horrible noise. The light in the timer dims and flashes and i'm frightened that not only will it blow up but will cause a power cut in the local area. Would really like to not bother with a microwave at all but DS2 is now eating proper food and it is handy when warming
food up.

wahwahwah Mon 10-Oct-11 14:19:28

Being made redundant - now that was an unexpected 'extra'!

Gonzo33 Mon 10-Oct-11 14:20:54

oh wahwahwah that is pants.

Mine was Car Insurance that I'd forgotten about.

CogitoErgoSometimes Mon 10-Oct-11 14:22:24

So far this month (fingers crossed) no hidden extras. Last month, however, starting at a new school meant a rugby shirt, football studs and a few other things that I hadn't banked on.

ilooklikegrotbagstoday Mon 10-Oct-11 14:23:35

How horrible wahwahwah sad

maras2 Mon 10-Oct-11 14:52:08

Complete new central heating system.£3.5k.

WipsGlitter Mon 10-Oct-11 15:01:56

Snack money ds2 - £20, book fair money ds2 - £10, vests for both children. Books for new kindle!

lydonsmum Mon 10-Oct-11 16:36:27

Dog needing teeth removed, at vet tomorrow - estimate £180!!!!!!

seb1 Mon 10-Oct-11 17:20:38

New car !!

vickibee Mon 10-Oct-11 17:22:22

van repair bill. DH broke down on way towork and van is sat a garage awaiting parts

soandsosmummy Mon 10-Oct-11 21:05:24

My poor cat hurt its elbow and had to go to vets. £50

DD violently sick all over herself in town and needed a new set of clothes pronto (honestly she was COVERED in it) - thank God for Primark only set me back about £12

Sounds like I got off lightly though reading the rest of your posts

Gooshka Tue 11-Oct-11 14:27:30

Results of car service = £400 for new brake shoes and pads on all four wheels, school uniforms = £250 in total (x 3 boys - 2 at new school), 2 x £70 deposits on school trip to France next July. Always something.

schroeder Tue 11-Oct-11 14:46:09

Deposit for school trip £50.

Vests and gloves for dd.

Gloves for ds.

Umbrella for me, mine snapped in the wind hmm

These are the things that mean stuff just does not add up.

Gonzo33 Tue 11-Oct-11 14:55:38

Why do schools always land you with a last minute request for money for trips and things? We always end up forking out loads on these trips without any prior notification. (sorry ranty)

notcitrus Tue 11-Oct-11 15:01:31

Car broke down (day after our discussion about whether to get rid of it and deciding might as well keep as 'it's so reliable'...)
So also cost of driving back another 3 hours to go collect it.

Bought a set of furniture rather than just one piece as had offer we couldn't refuse to get the matching set. Hopefully will be counterbalanced by selling other stuff.

Need new watch strap, but at least that should only be £10 or so.

vickibee Wed 12-Oct-11 12:55:57

just got our bill for the Van £400. On CC for now - worry about it later

inkyfingers Fri 14-Oct-11 09:37:39

Parking ticket: my first and last ever (£25)
2 tyres: £270 - with discount hmm
lunch out x 2 £29 - what can you do? say no? grin

vickibee Fri 14-Oct-11 12:52:31

I have four birthdays for close relatives and friends in addition to two children's parties, only just realised

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now