Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Child benefit - am I being thick?

(5 Posts)
Deliaskis Mon 10-Oct-11 13:32:21

Answer - probably.

Only started claiming CB in Feb this yr when DD(1) was born. At the time, both DH and I were earning below the (old) tax threshold.

Now DH's salary has increased, and at the same time the threshold has gone down, so I think that we are now not eligible for child benefit under the new rules. However, I can't find a way to report this. On this page, a change in income isn't listed as something I need to report to them www.hmrc.gov.uk/childbenefit/keep-up-to-date/changes-to-report/what-to-report.htm but I assume I still do as I don't want a bill for backpay of overpayments.

I have tried ringing but have been on hold for an hour and am at work so can't stay on hold. I have tried emailing them but their system is not working at the moment.

Anybody done this - reported a change in income? How did you do it and how soon was the change acted upon (i.e. payments stopped)?

Ta
D

Gonzo33 Mon 10-Oct-11 14:04:40

At the moment you could earn a £trillion per year and still be able to claim Child benefit. In 2013 they are thinking about stopping it for higher rate tax payers.

You might be thinking of Child Tax Credits - if that is the case you need to call them and change it straight away or they will want all their pennies back.

Hope that helps.

Deliaskis Mon 10-Oct-11 14:11:35

Aha thank you Gonzo I had thought it had already come in. You've been a bit help (although I obviously was being a bit thick!). So there is now really no reason not to earn £trillion per year is there (it was the prospect of losing then 81 quid a month that was holding me back).

Twas defo not the CTCs, never got those.

Ta for help
D

Deliaskis Mon 10-Oct-11 14:11:57

that should have said 'big' help, not bit.

Gonzo33 Mon 10-Oct-11 15:07:40

Ha ha ha, chance to earn that much would be a fine thing!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now