Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Warm Home discount scheme- on benefits with a child under 5?

(4 Posts)
fuckityfuckfuckfuck Mon 10-Oct-11 10:15:26

My lovely nan just called me to say she'd seen information about this on TV this morning. I just love how the energy companies haven't actually done much to publicise it themselves hmm If you're on certain benefits (I'm on income support) and have a child under 5 then you can claim a £120 rebate on your electricity bill. I just googled my energy company and 'Warm Home Discount Scheme' and it took me straight to a form to fill in. Very simple to do, and they'll contact me shortly to get any info they need. It'll make a huge difference to me, so it's worth seeing if you're eligable. There are different criteria you need to meet, I think it's mainly aimed at pensioners but certain people who are at risk of fuel poverty can also apply. Hope this helps someone smile

fuckityfuckfuckfuck Mon 10-Oct-11 14:15:02

Bump. I've been on the phgone to them todya as well after reading about hteir 'Energy Assist' tarriff. Despite me telling them numerous times over the years that I'm on my own with young children and on income support, so no, I can't pay a £100 a month direct debit, not one of the advisers ever thought to tell me this. It pays to do your own research I guess. Have been told I should save about £100 a year.

GypsyMoth Mon 10-Oct-11 14:16:29

How would it work with pre payment meters?

fuckityfuckfuckfuck Mon 10-Oct-11 14:18:06

From what I've read I think the rebate (whihc is being doen in March, so we still have a winter of bills to look forward to hmm) would be sent out to you in the form of vouchers. I really don't recommend phoning right now thogugh. I had an hours wait, and right at the end their systems went down. I think an awful lot of people have realised they're being diddled today.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now