Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Best financial books for the layperson?

(7 Posts)
Mousey84 Sun 09-Oct-11 22:28:04

I like Your Money or Your Life by Joe Dominguez and Vicki Robin - very thought provoking book which I highly recommend.

Ive just finished Rich Dad, Poor Dad. Was awkward to read, and didnt really have anything new to teach me, but I dont regret taking the few hours to read it as its spurred me on a bit

In last 2 days Ive started reading the Millionaire Next Door and Tim Ferris' 4 hour work week (ok, so thats not technically finance) so cant comment on them yet, but certainly are extremely highly recommended.

What books do you recommend?

scaevola Sun 09-Oct-11 22:32:36

It's a children's book, but DK's Show Me The Money is a really good introduction for both children and adults!

Mousey84 Sun 09-Oct-11 23:09:48

Oh, that does look good! I cant stand Alvin Hall, but that book looks like it would be good for my DD - have put it on my list of books to look up at library smile

cluckychook Wed 12-Oct-11 13:53:20

Anything by Mary Hunt such as Debt-Proof Living which is very useful for anyone, not just those in debt.

HonestlyBanking Tue 25-Oct-11 19:50:46

Tim Hale who wrote 'Smarter Investing', ISBN 0273722077, talks a lot of sense on the investment front.

CogitoErgoSometimes Wed 26-Oct-11 06:59:32

I don't have a book to recommend but I do recommend signing up for the podcast of BBC R4's 'MoneyBox' programme. The number of times I've listened to this and been spurred on to make changes in my finances have been many.

wellwisher Wed 26-Oct-11 07:05:05

Martin Lewis, the Money Saving Expert man, has written a couple of books

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now