Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Bank account with debit card for kids

(11 Posts)
janinlondon Tue 04-Oct-11 13:12:09

Does anyone have any recommendations please? DD is 11 and we would like to get her an account with a linked debit card. Not a savings account, so interest rates not relevant. Simplest would be best. Any advice? Thanks!

CogitoErgoSometimes Tue 04-Oct-11 13:57:14

Does your bank offer one? I've found it handy to have my DS's account in the same bank. As it's held in my name I can see the balance when I check mine and it makes transferring funds easier

Ingles2 Tue 04-Oct-11 14:06:43

Ds1 has one, it's Lloyds 11-19 account. It has a debit card, sends quaterly statements, no overdraft etc. plus as Cogito says as I'm a Lloyds customer I can transfer money easily and the bank manager knows us.
All working fine at the moment, Ds1 just uses it to top up his phone really.

HarrietJones Tue 04-Oct-11 14:11:07

Dd1 has nationwide

cat64 Tue 04-Oct-11 14:23:07

Message withdrawn

janinlondon Tue 04-Oct-11 14:35:23

Thanks all. We are with First Direct, and they don't seem to do anything that I can see (though I may be being thick). And HSBC seems to say no debit card till they are 13.....Will look at the recommendations.

scaryteacher Wed 05-Oct-11 12:17:10

Ingles - can you have internet access with ds's account?

Ingles2 Thu 06-Oct-11 22:36:56

I don't think so scaryteacher, it hasn't been mentioned... but we've only had the account a month. I'll check and post back

scaryteacher Fri 07-Oct-11 12:33:09

Thanks - I'll need to set up a UK account for ds if he gets into sixth from in UK. We are Lloyds, and I'd want internet access to his account, so I could see what he was spending and when he needed more money....controlling mother!

ladydeedy Thu 13-Oct-11 03:50:48

Whatever you do, do not go to RBS. They are rubbish and offer no protection to children at all - have allowed direct debit to go through SS's account and say they are unable to stop it happening (despite saying the contrary in their marketing materials).

MindtheGappp Thu 13-Oct-11 05:39:46

Our kids have their accounts a Barclays. They get a debit card with a £50 per day cash limit.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now