Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Bank account with debit card for kids

(11 Posts)
janinlondon Tue 04-Oct-11 13:12:09

Does anyone have any recommendations please? DD is 11 and we would like to get her an account with a linked debit card. Not a savings account, so interest rates not relevant. Simplest would be best. Any advice? Thanks!

CogitoErgoSometimes Tue 04-Oct-11 13:57:14

Does your bank offer one? I've found it handy to have my DS's account in the same bank. As it's held in my name I can see the balance when I check mine and it makes transferring funds easier

Ingles2 Tue 04-Oct-11 14:06:43

Ds1 has one, it's Lloyds 11-19 account. It has a debit card, sends quaterly statements, no overdraft etc. plus as Cogito says as I'm a Lloyds customer I can transfer money easily and the bank manager knows us.
All working fine at the moment, Ds1 just uses it to top up his phone really.

HarrietJones Tue 04-Oct-11 14:11:07

Dd1 has nationwide

cat64 Tue 04-Oct-11 14:23:07

Message withdrawn

janinlondon Tue 04-Oct-11 14:35:23

Thanks all. We are with First Direct, and they don't seem to do anything that I can see (though I may be being thick). And HSBC seems to say no debit card till they are 13.....Will look at the recommendations.

scaryteacher Wed 05-Oct-11 12:17:10

Ingles - can you have internet access with ds's account?

Ingles2 Thu 06-Oct-11 22:36:56

I don't think so scaryteacher, it hasn't been mentioned... but we've only had the account a month. I'll check and post back

scaryteacher Fri 07-Oct-11 12:33:09

Thanks - I'll need to set up a UK account for ds if he gets into sixth from in UK. We are Lloyds, and I'd want internet access to his account, so I could see what he was spending and when he needed more money....controlling mother!

ladydeedy Thu 13-Oct-11 03:50:48

Whatever you do, do not go to RBS. They are rubbish and offer no protection to children at all - have allowed direct debit to go through SS's account and say they are unable to stop it happening (despite saying the contrary in their marketing materials).

MindtheGappp Thu 13-Oct-11 05:39:46

Our kids have their accounts a Barclays. They get a debit card with a £50 per day cash limit.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: