Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Car contract hire - can I ask to offer to buy at end of agreement??

(6 Posts)
flippyfloppy Sun 02-Oct-11 21:14:21

Hi there, I currently have a personal contract hire agreement for my car. I pay a lease fee every month and the car is due to be returned April. We really like the car and would actually consider buying one when this one goes back. DH has suggested I contact the finance company or broker to see if they could approach the garage to give us a price to buy it from them rather than returning it- do you think they would entertain this and might they offer it to us on a deal? Has anyone ever done this? TIA

AMumInScotland Mon 03-Oct-11 10:47:08

I'm sure they'd be happy to consider it - they usually have to sell the car on when you return it, and they don't get anything like the market value for them. You might find the paperwork even has something about it, but if not then phone them up and see what they say.

If you can, it would be a good idea, as you know the full history of this exact one, whereas if you bought another car the same age and model, you don't really know how many problems it might have had, or how it's been treated.

mistlethrush Mon 03-Oct-11 10:49:48

We asked for a purchase price for my previous company car and they quoted rather a high figure. However, I am sure that the car would have gone into an auction and I can't imagine that it made the amount they quoted.

flippyfloppy Mon 03-Oct-11 11:10:08

Thanks for your responses. Would I contact the finance company directly, Honda finance, or the vehicle management company who brokered the deal?

AMumInScotland Mon 03-Oct-11 11:35:10

I'd start with the finance company and see what they say. The car is probably legally their property during the contract.

flippyfloppy Mon 03-Oct-11 15:12:33

Thanks again, I'll see what they say.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now