Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Can I cash a euro cheque into euros in the UK?

(6 Posts)
bunjies Fri 30-Sep-11 16:09:23

We've been sent a refund from a French insurer but obviously it's in euros. As we are now living in the UK (but will be returning to France in a few months time for a holiday) is it possible to cash the cheque into euros over here so that we can take them back with us?

Alternatively how long will the cheque be valid? Am I right in thinking that in the UK cheques are only valid for 6 months? We will be going back to France in the Easter hols - would that be too long to wait to pay it into our French bank account?

HonestlyBanking Fri 30-Sep-11 16:52:20

Your easiest route is to send it to your French bank, unless you have a Euro a/c with a UK bank. Cashing it otherwise will be a pain, plus they will try and take a healthy 'commission' out of it!

Good luck

Honestly Banking

redheelsandwine Sat 01-Oct-11 23:17:12

Yes you can. Where I work it takes upto 28 working days to clear,usually 10-14 working days, but you do pay a 2% fee and depending on what the rate is on day of exchange effect what you come out with x

bunjies Mon 03-Oct-11 20:39:03

Thanks for the replies.

redheelsandwine - why should it take so long if I want it in cash euros? I don't want to pay it in.

DiddyMary Mon 03-Oct-11 22:05:05

"why should it take so long if I want it in cash euros? I don't want to pay it in."

It has to clear. Think of how it would be for a UK cheque. If you walk into your bank you can cash a cheque from your own account, you can't hand over a cheque payable to you from another person or company and take it in cash straight away.

bunjies Tue 04-Oct-11 10:40:44

Thanks for that. I didn't realise you couldn't take the money straight away blush.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now