Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Childcare costs part time study?

(4 Posts)
FourFish Fri 30-Sep-11 11:25:07

I've posted this here and in lone parents so apologies is you've read this twice :-)

In January I want to start a part time classroom assistant course. The course is part time so won't affect the income support I am currently on but I will be classroom based one day a week and in a placement one day a week. The course is free but i need childcare for my 3 and 1 year olds. Is there any finical help for this? I've worked out that for the 12 month course I would need roughly £9000. I won't be a full time student so not eligable for any student finance? Any ideas?

fiodyl Fri 30-Sep-11 11:40:52

Is the course run by a FE college? They may have a Discretionary Learner Fund that could help you with the cost of childcare. I did an access course while on Income support and the college paid my childcare costs, travel expenses and gave me a full refund on the course fees I'd paid. Worth ringing them to ask.

lesstalkmoreaction Fri 30-Sep-11 14:00:58

There should be a lone parent advisor linked to the college or at your local children centre. Are you under age 25 as you stand a better chance of funding if you are.

FourFish Fri 30-Sep-11 15:50:21

Just had my 25th birthday! Have made an appointment with my lone parent adviser thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now