Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

down the pan

(4 Posts)
lickthemarmiteknife Tue 27-Sep-11 17:23:57

I don't know what to do. I've just started back at work on a relief contract after mat leave. I worked 22 hours last month which is virtually all i can (i could never afford childcare) and it has dropped me in the poo financially. I can't cover my car payments anymore (fewer shifts than expected) and i'm on a debt management plan after falling behind with a credit card and overdraft accumulated during mat leave.
Now i can't even afford the £111 per month i need to pay to the debt management people. I'm having nightmares when i DO sleep but mostly wander around the flat all night. My partner doesn't know the extent of the trouble and has offered to pay my car insurance for the coming year so it looks like it will all have to come out in the open. I'm really not the sort of person who this happens to, i've always avoided trouble of all kinds. I'm not confrontational and fear a showdown. Will i have to go bankrupt? The shame is getting too much for me.

belledechocchipcookie Tue 27-Sep-11 17:49:27

You need to speak to your partner. Have you looked at entitledto.com to see if you're entitled to any help with your childcare? It may save you money not to work at the moment or to cut your hours. sad

CogitoErgoSometimes Tue 27-Sep-11 17:58:45

Try not to worry. There's no shame in having bad luck.

First thing to do is probably to be open and honest with your partner. If he's a decent man & he loves you he'll be sympathetic, even if he can't help. 'A problem shared is a problem halved etc'. Next step - if you haven't already - is to book a session with CAB (Citizens' Advice Bureau), CCCS, National Debtline or another free debt advisory service. They are very good indeed at helping people in your situation. Bankruptcy is always a last resort.

At the same time, make sure you and your partner are getting all the state help to which you are entitled. This Benefits Checker for example, will walk you through the help you may qualify for based on your circumstances.

Finally, it will help when you see CAB (or similar) if you have your bank statements, credit card bills and other financial documentation together. So spend a little time really understanding the numbers because, sometimes, just getting yourself organised ... even if it looks bad... can give you the feeling that you're doing something positive. And that can help with the stress.

Good luck

lickthemarmiteknife Wed 28-Sep-11 10:53:54

Thankyou for your advice. My partner is the most lovely and understanding person and this is partly why i don't want him to shoulder the burden. Though I know he would want to 'fix' the problem. I guess i have the usual guilt about money.
I will check to see if i'm entitled to benefits today and get in touch with the debt management people. Thanks again, writing it down has helped as has sharing and getting responses. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now