Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

A question about tax credits and child benefit please

(6 Posts)
nojustificationneeded Mon 26-Sep-11 10:47:39

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

CogitoErgoSometimes Mon 26-Sep-11 11:06:51

Either advise HMRC of your change of address and advise them again when you get somewhere more permanent, or wait until you have the permanent address and tell them then. HMRC tends to write once to claimants at the start of the tax year (April) and go pretty quiet after that if nothing changes. Do your payments go straight into a bank account?

nojustificationneeded Mon 26-Sep-11 11:08:13

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

scotchmeg Mon 26-Sep-11 11:12:58

I highly doubt the system is clever enough to spot that someone else has moved in to your address. Tax credits and CB are based on a couple only not everyone who lives in the house. So even if they did make a claim ,they could still do so alongside yours. They could be another couple who have moved in to a room at your house.

CogitoErgoSometimes Mon 26-Sep-11 11:14:49

If you're only staying somewhere for 2 weeks and really want to advise HMRC, call their helpline and explain that it's a temporary arrangement until your new home becomes available. You won't be the first or last person to do this. See what they say.

lesstalkmoreaction Mon 26-Sep-11 16:47:49

I wouldn't confuse hmrc by telling them of a change of address unless it is permanent as by the time it updates the system you'll have moved again. You can have the post redirected to your friends house and then again when you move permanently and then update hmrc of the changes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now