Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Unfair!!!

(75 Posts)
Jesusgirl Fri 23-Sep-11 12:22:53

I'm probably a good few months behind but it just dawned on me now that child benefits are going to be stopped in 2 years.

I've saved up my dc's benefits and it is adding up, my plan was to keep saving them till they stop getting them by which time it'll be a lump sum for them to use for something useful.

I'm really gutted as I feel it's unfair. I'm just getting to grips with the fact that childcare vouchers are being significantly reduced, now this.

We earn a decent amount but it's nowhere near allowing us live a life of luxury. We have to cut down on a lot of things and it just seems unfair that even the little breaks we get here and there are being taken away.

It gets frustrating, DH and I work really hard and we have to pay for everything which is fine but it seems we then get 'purnished' for it.

I understand the government has to make cuts and all, but to me, it seems it's almost a disadvantage to work hard.

Sorry for the rant, I'm just a bit annoyed!!!

PetiteRaleuse Fri 23-Sep-11 12:30:12

Benefits are there to help people who need them. If you can afford to save them up and not spend them on nappies, or food, or clothes, or whatever they NEED NOW then you don't need them.

I'm much more worried about the other ways this government is making cuts. Public loos, sports associations, libraries, benefits for the terminally ill, the disabled, etc etc etc.

suzikettles Fri 23-Sep-11 12:37:30

Being able to save up your children's child benefit so they can spend it on something nice when they're older, so approx £31k lump sum plus whatever interest you got on it for 18 years, is a luxury.

You have got a considerable stash of savings there for your children and you dind't have to do a thing.

Oh! Oh! Oh! I'm just quivering with the unfairness of it all.

5inthebed Fri 23-Sep-11 12:39:15

What petite said. If you were going to save them, you dont need them.

Pick up your lip and think about others who are going to be truely affected by the benefit cuts.

Jesusgirl Fri 23-Sep-11 13:05:34

Who says I don't need them. I do but decide to cut down on other things just so they don't end up in the same situation as I am in.

What happens when it's time for uni? They get huge debts because there's no other way to afford them.

For us, luxury holidays have been reduced to maybe haven holiday once a year! I don't think you can classify buying the blue and White tesco brand of everything luxury.

We work really hard and no savings at the end of the month.

I know there are lots of people that need the benefits and they should get it, but it doesn't mean because I can afford to buy milk then I don't need it either.

PetiteRaleuse Fri 23-Sep-11 13:12:24

You said you don't need them as you are saving them!

Yes they'll get huge debts at uni. Unfortunately that's what happens in the UK now. Maybe they will choose not to go.

Luxury holidays are a luxury. I have never had one in my life. All my holidays are either at home or visiting family.

I suggest you stop whining.

Jesusgirl Fri 23-Sep-11 13:12:25

@ sizikettles- who says I didn't have to do a thing? I work sometimes 50 hours a week, sometimes sacrifice sleep, weekends. These same kids have to be left at nursery and afterschool care which costs a lot by the way.
I could as well stay home with them and not have the extra expense and not contribute to the economy, and still get their benefits. But I chose not to.

I know some families genuinely do not have a choice and I feel they need extra help but things are tight everywhere too. Salaries have gone down and cost of living gone up.

Jesusgirl Fri 23-Sep-11 13:18:03

@ petite - if they choose not to go to Uni- then it should be because they don't want to and not because they can't afford to.

I just think that has unfortunately become the norm- huge debts and it shouldn't be so. I don't want my dcs to start off life in debts and financial worry. Why do we have to 'accept' there's no other way.

I feel this mind set is part of what has brought this country to where it is. And I really fear for the future of the next generation.

PetiteRaleuse Fri 23-Sep-11 13:22:16

I agree, they should be able to afford to go to university. I am appaled at the fee issue.

But having enough money to save up your benefits means you don't really need them.

suzikettles Fri 23-Sep-11 13:22:37

But you don't need it confused. You're putting it into a savings account every month. That's got to be the very definition of not "needing" a State benefit surely?

I work really hard. My dh works really hard. My downstairs neighbour works really, really, really hard. There are a lot of people not paying tax at the higher rate who are working really hard. We don't have savings at the end of the month either, but you can't have my child benefit, sorry, because I need it to buy (Tesco value) food.

suzikettles Fri 23-Sep-11 13:23:45

You should have a look at MoneySavingExpert on the uni fees thing. It may not be in your dc's best interests to try to save up the fees for them.

Jesusgirl Fri 23-Sep-11 13:37:50

Thanks. I'll have a look at it. No matter what I save, it won't cover the fees anyway. I just want the best for them and give them a better chance.

I know it's probably a different situation for different people but I have a friend who is a single mum and not earning much as only works part time, yet with all the benefits she gets, she gets to go on all inclusive holidays, her ds which is the same age as my ds gets the latest gadgets... Don't know how or if she's cheating the system but something just doesn't seem right about that. Yet I'm told to stop whining about not getting money for the kids.

MirandaWest Fri 23-Sep-11 13:42:31

If you are saving the money then you don't "need" it.

Are either you or your DH a higher rate tax payer? If not then you won't be affected by the child benefit changes. The unfair part o feel is that is one person in a relationship is a hr tax payer ie earning about 44k then cb would get stopped whereas if two people both earned 40k it wouldn't be stopped. But the government has been suspiciously quiet on how exactly it will be inplemeneted so who can tell?

suzikettles Fri 23-Sep-11 13:46:07

Look. You're paying off the mortgage on a house yes? That's a major asset. Presumably your "friend" is not as the bulk of any benefits she gets would be in the form of housing benefit which she wouldn't get unless she was renting.

The simplest answer to her perceived (by you) affluence is debt, but also we all prioritise different things - all inclusive holidays and the latest gadgets are cheap compared to large mortgage repayments on expensive properties.

Do you have more than one child? Does she only have one? There's another expense she doesn't have.

It's a little silly though to envy people on benefits. You could be on benefits too if your dh left you and you couldn't afford to work because of childcare costs, but seriously, it wouldn't be worth it.

MamaChocoholic Fri 23-Sep-11 13:46:27

if you can save them you don't need them. however, there are people who will lose them who do depend on them.

ShirelyKnottage Fri 23-Sep-11 13:46:49

I wondered how long it was going to be before there was a moan about how the single mum/benefit scrounger/disabled person down the road has a better life than you.

<yawn>

PetiteRaleuse Fri 23-Sep-11 13:47:01

Well Jesusgirl, life isn't fair unfortunately. People spend their money in different ways. But people complaining as you are doing is shameful when others are in far worse situations. I'd love to be in your position. But I'm not. But I never go on these threads whining about how hard life is. Because I have a roof, can pay the rent and buy the food I need for me, DH and DD. And for that I am truly thankful.

wannaBe Fri 23-Sep-11 13:47:01

it is unfair in the way it is being implimented. Either you as a household earn too much to claim or you don't.

If one party earns over £44k they will lose CB, however if both parties earn £43k each they could be earning nearly £88k yet still be eligible.

At the time it was announced the unfairness of it was widely reported - nobody can argue with that imho.

SansaLannister Fri 23-Sep-11 13:49:47

What a sorry excuse for a wind up! 'Jesusgirl'. Nice try.

PetiteRaleuse Fri 23-Sep-11 13:50:15

No-one can argue with the way it is being implemented being unfair. It is back of fag packet politics. Liek the rest of the crap that the Nasty Party and their sidekicks have introduced.

But in OP's case she really needs to realise how lucky she is that she can afford to save it.

5inthebed Fri 23-Sep-11 13:54:43

Maybe you should try being a single parent, and see how that goes?

Does she have a morgage? A stable job? Someone to help provide for her child?

I think the new rule is a bit mean when it comes to the £44k for one person, but not for joint applicants. It sucks.

But you've already said you are saving the money, not using it for what it is meant to be for. So you don't need it to get by, a lot of other people do. Thy are not fortunate enough to be able to stick it in a savings acount and not worry about it.

scarlettsmummy2 Fri 23-Sep-11 13:56:12

jesusgirl- I am in the same boat as you and I totally agree. My husband and I both work full time, work hard and yet we are being penalised for this. I honestly do not see why I shouldn't get a bit of extra help, havng paid thousands in tax over the years, when there are thousands of third generation families living on benefits being supported by me.

Pootles2010 Fri 23-Sep-11 13:56:44

We all want to give our kids a 'chance', but to be honest statistically your kids will be fine if they're from a well off back ground. Its the kids who are in care, or are from poorer backgrounds who need a chance.

You obviously work hard, and you are reaping the rewards - I'm guessing you have your own house, and have a nicer life than you would if you were on benefits or working for minimum wage.

Regarding your 'friend' who gets all the latest holidays and gadgets - real standard of living is not measured by holidays and gadgets. Does she own her own home? In twenty years, when you've paid off your mortgage, and moved up the career ladder, where will she be?

wannaBe Fri 23-Sep-11 13:57:00

I think the reverse snobbery on these threads is astounding tbh.

Ultimately, until 2013, every parent in the country is entitled to child benefit. CB does not equate to benefits in the same sense of the word.

And just because you can afford to save a portion of your monthly income doesn't mean you are money grabbing - people do make sacrifices in order to be able to save. Yes, other people can't afford to make sacrifices, that's sad for them. Doesn't mean we should begrudge those that can fford to though.

PetiteRaleuse Fri 23-Sep-11 14:02:07

It's not reverse snobbery. I have nothing against rich or successful people. In fact I admire them.

But whining because child benefit is being cancelled when you can afford to save it is awful when there are so many people who need it and more.

Everyone who works pay taxes. Think of taxes as insurance for when things can go wrong for you, as they can. When you lose your job, or have an accident and become disabled, the state is there to help you. And it can happen to anyone. Yes, some people abuse the system, but those who have really needed recourse to state help understand that paying social security contributions are worth it.

Yes, it's arguable that taxes are wasted - I'd agree - but the wlefare state is there for a reason, and in the UK you can be bloody grateful for it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now