Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Getting house in joint name

(5 Posts)
CJ2010 Thu 22-Sep-11 14:28:15

DP has always owned our homes jn his name but I want that to change when we buy next year. I don't work (SAHM) and I know he will argue that as I don't have a job I can't be on the mortgage. Can anyone clarify for me if this is true? I needs some financial security for me and the DC's. TIA

MotherPanda Thu 22-Sep-11 14:29:31

you might not be on the mortgage, but you can certainly be in the deeds.

I'm sure someone who knows a bit more will be along soon smile

CJ2010 Thu 22-Sep-11 14:57:27

Thank you smile

Bump

tabulahrasa Thu 22-Sep-11 15:03:34

I'm on the mortgage and deeds, I wasn't working when we bought this house, or the one before for that matter

CogitoErgoSometimes Thu 22-Sep-11 15:23:55

You've posted this elsewhere. If you're not married and you're looking for financial security in the event of death or break-up it's vital that you are listed on the deeds, on the mortgage and also in DP's will. If you were married it would be slightly different. You can still be named on the deeds and the mortgage & it's still a good idea to have a will, but the working assumption would be that as a wife, you have an equal claim on the marital assets in the event of a divorce and sole claim to his assets in the event of his death

So either persuade DP to marry you or get your name on the property or both. PS.... be very careful about the motives of a man 'arguing' that because you don't have a job you're not qualified to be part owner of your family's home. Sounds like he doesn't see you as an equal partner in the relationship

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now