Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

I am really disappointed at my local job centre...

(8 Posts)
SurprisEs Tue 20-Sep-11 13:46:32

I have recently become unemployed and today was my first 'sign on day'. I've never been on jobseekers so I wasn't sure what to expect.

All my jobs apart from the first two were acquired through a friend or just someone I knew so I have never had a CV. I was taught in college how to write one but I asked the lady that signed my papers to have a quick look and let me know if it needed improvements. I was told nobody was available. It would have taken 5 minutes and I thought you went there so they could help you get a job, not just to sign a paper so you don't lose your benefit!

Of course it is up to me to find a job but I honestly thought these people were there to help not to give you money for no effort!

iklboo Tue 20-Sep-11 13:50:58

Unfortunately, that is what they're there for. They have lots of people to see, most of whom will have been given an appointment time to sign on/speak to an adviser. The lady might also have been wary of the 'You told me my CV was great but I can't get a job because it's not' type complaint (not that YOU would, but it's not o utside the realms of fantasy someone might).
Your local CAB will probably have someone who can help you.
Hope you get a job soon.

SurprisEs Tue 20-Sep-11 14:05:22

CAB? I don't know what that is. Sorry.

Speak to an advisor?

ME: hands papers over to sign.

Advisor: signs it. 'see you in two weeks'

Me: Could you have a look at my cv as I have never needed one and am not sure if it is done correctly.

Advisor: there is nobody available. See you in 2 weeks.

Not a lot of advising there.

CogitoErgoSometimes Tue 20-Sep-11 14:25:23

I'm sure there are a few Job Centres that actively help people get work but most are just processing points where people go to sign on and claim. CAB is the Citizens Advice Bureau. You might also want to consider talking to a recruitment consultant or agency for more specific advice about jobs in your field. Good luck with the search.

SurprisEs Tue 20-Sep-11 14:31:02

Thanks for the info.

I still feel disappointed and I saw first hand how easy it is to pretend you're looking for a job and get paid for it. Terrible.

vj32 Sat 24-Sep-11 21:47:35

If you want help with your CV then look on the net for local 'job clubs' - run by community associations, charities etc.

MrsFlittersnoop Sat 24-Sep-11 22:47:31

If you want help with your CV you need to register with job agencies. They get paid by the employer if your application is successful, so have a vested interest in making sure your CV is as polished as possible.

It isn't "easy it is to pretend you're looking for a job and get paid for it". When you sign on, you have to provide a list of the jobs you've applied for each fortnight, with full contact details for the vacancy and a record of the progress and outcome of each application. And they DO check up.

I always found the Jobcentre staff extremely helpful. They provided details of suitable vacancies for me on several occasions.

Fizzylemonade Sun 25-Sep-11 08:20:26

I used to sign people on for a living sad but the person you saw is literally there for a 30 second chat about your job search ie "how's it all going? oooh you have an interview on Tuesday, that's great."

They are also there to check you are the person who is meant to be signing on by checking your signature against ones given previously (and yes I have caught out someone signing for someone else)

There should be other staff, not behind the signing desk who deal with putting up the job notifications etc who can help.

But personally, I would join recruitment agencies and temping agencies, they will definitely help you with your CV.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now