Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

do i need a tv license for a laptop?

(7 Posts)
booyhoo Mon 19-Sep-11 15:52:59

just that really. my license is due for renewal at the end of october. we have no aeriel in my new house so haven't watched tv since the 1st of july and we dont miss it at all. i watch my soaps on itv player and iplayer and some things on 4od.

so would i still need to pay my license or can i cancel it if i get rid of the tvs?

DreamsOfSteam Mon 19-Sep-11 15:54:33

If you are watching soaps on your laptop then yes you will need a t.v licence

BikeRunSki Mon 19-Sep-11 15:59:46

Only if you stream live TV.

booyhoo Mon 19-Sep-11 16:02:04

i can only watch the soaps once the original tv showing has ended. that means it isn't live doesn't it? <not very technical emoticon>

MotherJack Mon 19-Sep-11 16:02:06

You only need to buy a license if you are watching or recording live TV so you do not need one if you are watching it on IPlayer etc (i.e. it has already been on TV and you haven't recorded it). If you are watching live tv on your laptop then you do need a license.

Be warned though, they will still hound you to buy a license, with increasingly menacing letters, but you do not need one.

HTH

booyhoo Mon 19-Sep-11 16:04:15

ok thank you motherjack,(and for the warning too)

televisions on gumtree then.

TheNorthWitch Fri 23-Sep-11 19:23:53

If you google TV Licence Resistance you can find out more information about your rights. Be aware that TV Licensing employees may try and intimidate you into buying a licence (they're on commission) so best to know exactly where you stand legally.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now