Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

is there any financial help available for an 18 year old still in school?

(4 Posts)
booyhoo Mon 12-Sep-11 18:24:46

asking for a friend

she has been told to leave her parents' house. she can come here to me but as an LP on IS i know i just cant afford to support her totally. she works 8 hours a week in a saturday job and is at school during the week. i went onto direct gov website to thesection about young people and it seems she probably wont be entitled to anything. would she still get her EMA if she left home?

LornMowa Tue 13-Sep-11 14:12:45

Could you arrange for the Child Benefit to be paid to you instead of her parents?

CogitoErgoSometimes Tue 13-Sep-11 14:54:39

I'd suggest she talks to people at her school. I'm sure they'll have some ideas.

adamschic Tue 13-Sep-11 15:03:51

I've been told that if DD takes another year to finish school i.e does 2 yrs in yr 13 then we will still get CTC and CB. No-one will be receiving EMA from next year onwards afaik, but anyone in receipt of it last year and still in school will get it.

If you have left home then I would imagine that there must be some sort of support available.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now