Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

New job but thinking of starting a family

(5 Posts)
kelledin Mon 12-Sep-11 14:07:24

Hi everyone, I'm new here so hello to you all.

I have just started a new job but over the weekend my husband and I started talking about starting a new family. Great timing eh! I want to save some money before we decide when to start trying but what I wanted to know is how long do I need to be at my new place until I can claim SMP?

Thanks xx

nocake Mon 12-Sep-11 14:10:54

There is no length of service requirement. You just have to be there long enough to give the correct notice period, which is 15 weeks before the beginning of the week your baby is due.

An0therName Mon 12-Sep-11 14:17:53

if they pay any extra over SMP there may length of service requirment -it was a year in my old public sector job - have a look in your staff handbook or intranet

mranchovy Mon 12-Sep-11 17:55:47

> There is no length of service requirement.

That's not true, you have to have had 26 weeks of service by the time you give that notice 15 weeks before the due date. So as long as you are are not pregnant when you start work (because that makes 41 weeks in total) you will be OK for SMP.

mranchovy Mon 12-Sep-11 19:18:31

Oh and welcome kelledin - and good luck with your new job and your family plans grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now