Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

How do you save?

(3 Posts)
bigfatgypsy Mon 12-Sep-11 12:15:43

I really want to get organised and sort out some proper savings. In theory we should be able to put some aside each month but rarely do. The only regular savings we do is £10 a month for each child which is now up to £1000 for 1 child and £750 for the other.

I need to save for holidays and Xmas, and ideally a pension for me and something for a 'rainy day'

How do you do it?

CogitoErgoSometimes Mon 12-Sep-11 12:24:35

I get paid around the 21st of each month, my pension contribs come straight off my pay-slip, and on the 23rd of each month I put an amount of money into a savings account by standing order. Because it's 'gone' I don't miss it and then I budget my spending patterns around what's left. When the savings account has a decent amount in it, I transfer most to something less accessible with a better interest rate (Cash ISA, bonds, unit trusts), leaving a little behind as 'rainy day' money for that surprise washing machine repair etc.

vickibee Mon 12-Sep-11 12:54:35

I pay into my Offset account cos I want to pay off my mortgage quicker. It comes straight out of my account on pay day so I can't spend it on anything else

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now