Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

credit rating - bad due to ex?

(8 Posts)
angrywoman Thu 08-Sep-11 12:00:26

I have been investigating this since RBS refused me a graduate account this week. I have looked at experian's report and they give me a rating of 999! BUT I still have an unsold property in joint names with my financially inept ex. Nine checks in his name are listed in my report most recently for Lowell portfolio and Wagerworks (sounds dodgy to me). I have written to experian and asked for a notice of disassociation, however I am aware that this may not apply because of the joint mortgage. I asked them to add a note to my file if this was the case. The mortgage itself is all satisfactory and the house is shortly to go on the market.
Any views/ advice appreciated. sad Just wanted to get a car!

CogitoErgoSometimes Thu 08-Sep-11 18:41:36

The test would be to apply for an account with another bank. If you get turned down again, then you may be being judged by association. If you get accepted, it was probably RBS being ultra-cautious.

angrywoman Fri 09-Sep-11 11:16:52

hmm, I will try that then. I think you can do it so it leaves no trace on your credit record can't you?

afishcalledmummy Fri 09-Sep-11 11:28:21

Have you spoken to RBS about it? I was once refused a card by Virgin and got my experian report which showed nothing untoward so I telephoned and said I couldn't see why I'd been refused. They agreed and gave me the card!

It might be possible that if you speak to a person at RBS they'd be able to overturn the decision.

HonestlyBanking Fri 09-Sep-11 12:32:47

Speak to the credit reference agencies as well. Good Luck.

Lizcat Fri 09-Sep-11 13:56:28

RBS can be a bit difficult they initially turned DH down for a business loan as they themselves had checked DH out three times in the last 2 weeks. We were in the middle of some very complex property purchases. Once we pointed out that it was their own credit checks for the loans they changed their minds, but some times the left hand does not know what the right hand is doing.

angrywoman Fri 09-Sep-11 15:59:34

Its always worth asking on mumsnet! I rang them and will be going in next week with my experian report! Thanks for the advice, I will let you know what happens....

angrywoman Tue 13-Sep-11 15:49:06

Updating: I got a call the morning I was due to go in from the advisor I was due to see. He said that the decline of a graduate account is due to internal criteria. Hmm. He seemed very certain about this, though unsure as to what the criteria are... So I guess this might be stuff which is on the experian report which doesn't give me a bad rating? I have no idea! I asked him whether I might have too good a credit rating. He just laughed!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now