Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

surely, having no money for transport, is a valid reason to not be able to sign on tomorrow?

(80 Posts)
Tortoise Tue 06-Sep-11 16:37:17

I put £5 aside for tomorrow to get the train to go and sign on ( lone parent jsa). But checked earlier and only have £2 left on electric pre pay meter so I have had to put my last £5 on that.

So, phoned job centre to say I can't get in to sign on tomorrow only to be told it may not be considered a valid excuse (as she called it). And I wouldn't get my benefits until I can get there to sign on and I would most likely lose money.sad

I've already have to do without much food yesterday day so that dc had enough to eat. No money until Thursday child tax credits.

glastocat Tue 06-Sep-11 16:38:43

Can you get a lift,thumb a lift or walk?

glastocat Tue 06-Sep-11 16:39:19

Forgot to say , it sounds awful for you.

Tortoise Tue 06-Sep-11 17:32:17

It's about 16 miles! Can't think of anyone who could give me a lift that wouldn't need help with fuel money!
I was never told that if I couldn't get in to sign on I wouldn't get money!

SchrodingersMew Tue 06-Sep-11 17:35:10

Is there no one who would loan you the £2 to get there?

SchrodingersMew Tue 06-Sep-11 17:37:15

And when I was claiming Job Seekers they signed me off for not being able to go in due to Swine Flu! They said because I wouldn't be able to seek a job with it I wasn't eligible.

Just be careful as if you miss it they wont class it as an authorised failure to make the appt and they will cancel your claim and you will need to re-claim.

NoMoreWasabi Tue 06-Sep-11 17:37:59

Sounds horrible for you. The thing is though I imagine that they couldn't generally accept it as valid as otherwise no one would have any incentive to come and could plead poverty.

Been a long time since I had a prepay meter but I seen to recall that there you could go up to £5 overdrawn on it before it would stop. May be worth checking for future reference.

SauvignonBlanche Tue 06-Sep-11 17:40:08

Wouldn't the £2 last until tomorrow?

Lilyloo Tue 06-Sep-11 17:40:26

What a nighmare , but i would also be wary of them scrapping your whole claim and starting again if you don't go.
I guess you have already emptied coin jar and scrabbled down the sofa?

mumblechum1 Tue 06-Sep-11 17:42:07

If you haven't already put the money in the meter,don't.

Far too much hassle if you don't sign on.

Isn't there some sort of rule that if you live miles away from the jobcentre you can do it by post? I used to work in a benefits office in the 80s and we had lots of postal claimants

Tortoise Tue 06-Sep-11 17:46:03

Need £5 for train.
Elec all ready put on. Was already into emergency credit.
Yes, £2 would last until tomorrow but not until Thursday which is when I get child tax credits.
It's been a really bad week as had to get school shoes x 2 plus other school bits and make sure dc had food.

mumblechum1 Tue 06-Sep-11 17:47:22

I think in that case you'll have to pay for the fare on a debit or credit card, even if it means you get into £3 worth of debt.

When you're there, ask about postal claims.

SchrodingersMew Tue 06-Sep-11 17:49:45

Don't put the money in the electric and phone a crisis loan to pay for it tomorrow.

alison222 Tue 06-Sep-11 17:50:46

Years ago when I signed on one summer I was allowed to do so by post as we lived 10 miles from the job centre. Does this not still apply?

aliceliddell Tue 06-Sep-11 17:51:26

We're all in this together, remember? Some of us are in it up to our necks. This is the 4th biggest economy on earth, right? Gah! Bloody government! Off to Anti Cuts meeting later. Good luck, OP!

Lilyloo Tue 06-Sep-11 17:52:41

Is there anyone who could take you and then you can give them petrol money on Thursday ?
If you have a debit card you may be able to pay on it tomorrow and it won't be taken from your bank until Thursday.

adamschic Tue 06-Sep-11 17:56:23

OP why are you on JSA and having to sign on if you are a lone parent. Unless you have been means tested out of it then you should be able to claim Income Support which doesn't involve a trip to sign on. I don't know how old your DC's are and am not sure what they lower age limit is nowadays but when I was looking for a job after been made redundant as an LP they told me to go on IS.

HappyMummyOfOne Tue 06-Sep-11 18:00:19

aliceliddell, what do the cuts have to do with this or the size of the economy? If the OP has four children and on JSA, then on top of the £60 ish a week JSA she'll also be getting approx £190 tax credits and approx £65 CB plus her rent and council tax paid - thats more than some people earn in a week so I would say the Government fund pretty well.

OP, they will stop the JSA if you dont attend so perhaps family of the childrens dad can help out until Thursday. Then it might be worth setting some aside purely for travelling or perhaps a pre paid card so that you are not stuck again in future. Some do let you sign on by post or used too.

Tortoise Tue 06-Sep-11 18:00:22

I don't have a credit card. Bank card payments won't go through if no money in bank, basic account no over draft.
I've no idea about signing on by post. No been mentioned to me.
In the summer hols I had to pay out nearly £8 to take kids in with me!

SuePurblybilt Tue 06-Sep-11 18:01:58

I think if your youngets child is 7 now, you're on JSA not IS.

TBH Tortoise, I think the only way you'll be able to miss signing on is with doctors note. Is there a doctor closer than the JC?

fanjobiscuit Tue 06-Sep-11 18:02:39

If you don't sign you will almost always be sanctioned -often for 2weeks.You will not be able to get a crisis loan for this period although you might get hardship awarded.
Non attendance is always reported as such by the advisers and the decision maker will look at the circumstances and make a judgement based on the facts.

As attendance at the jobcentre is only once every 2 weeks and is a regular event it will be questioned why you spent the travel money on other things.You knew it was required.

Even if a sanction is sorted out later it will still be a huge hassle for you . Your housing benefit and council tax will be affected -some councils refuse to reinstate those weeks even if the jobcentre does at a later stage.

Beg borrow-or even dare I say it ,steal the money. For the sake of £5 it really isnt worth it.

lubeybooby Tue 06-Sep-11 18:03:29

Could you get a crisis loan? they can pay same day if you need food - say the freezer died?

Or much simpler would be find someone who can lend it to you.

adamschic Tue 06-Sep-11 18:03:35

How old is your youngest? Have they changed the rules already and taken lone parents with a child under & off IS and onto JSA?

Sorry about your predicament. Don't know what to suggest but you need to tell them you are having problems paying transport.

Tortoise Tue 06-Sep-11 18:04:06

Adamschic because my youngest was 7 in July. That's the cut off age soon to be age 4 I think.
Happymummy, yes I am lucky I can claim and can get that help. Unfortunately job are scarce in my area and as I can't drive am limited to where I can get to.

adamschic Tue 06-Sep-11 18:04:32

'under 7'

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now