Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Grandparents and Preschool Fees (and CTC/WTC!)

(5 Posts)
littlejosh Mon 05-Sep-11 13:12:28

Hello

My parents have asked if they can pay my DD pre-school fees (directly, no monies would come to us).

Can anyone advise, as we recieve CTC and WTC do we have to declare this to them as we do recieve monies to cover child care costs?

Want to make sure were doing the right thing.

Many Thanks

HappyMummyOfOne Mon 05-Sep-11 13:27:53

Yes I would. If they do a random check with your nursery who mention that the fees are paid by somebody else you could be in trouble. If you are not actually paying the child care costs then you cant truthfully declare you pay x for childcare on an HMRC form.

CogitoErgoSometimes Mon 05-Sep-11 13:29:18

Gifts to children shouldn't affect the benefit claims of their parents. However, if the pre-school fees that they will be paying for means that you will no longer pay child-care you will have to let HMRC know straight away.

Pootles2010 Mon 05-Sep-11 13:30:35

Yes I'm sure you would.

littlejosh Mon 05-Sep-11 13:38:21

Thank you for the quick replies, I thought this might be the case.

They have offered to pay for a sporting activity as well, may take them up on that instead (as am hoping that doesnt affect CTC/WTC wink!!!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now