Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Tax credits are doing my head in...

(5 Posts)
DingbatsFur Fri 02-Sep-11 13:14:19

Can anyone give me a clear answer as to whether it is worth persuing tax credits if your joint annual income is around 40-42,000£?
Basically I'm in full time work, but DH's job is tied to the construction industry and they have reduced his salary by 30% and he now works only 3 days a week. Our tax credits were stopped from April this year (though I had not updated their calculations since DH's salary was cut and days were reduced as I wasn't sure how permanent it would be... it now looks like he is stuck like this) and I'm now considering startign the paper work to apply again.
We have 2 DC but have never qualified for any contribution to childcare so I have given up on that.
Thanks!
DingbatsFur

gillybean2 Fri 02-Sep-11 13:19:29

This will give you some idea what you may or may not get...
www.turn2us.org.uk/benefits_search.aspx

RedHelenB Sat 03-Sep-11 13:35:47

+Probably with 2 children you earn too much to qualify but worth checking.

roquefort Tue 06-Sep-11 19:53:07

You may want to make a protective claim in case your income drops and you become entitled: www.hmrc.gov.uk/taxcredits/start/claiming/backdate-ahead/protect-claim.htm

Lilyloo Tue 06-Sep-11 19:55:43

The cap is 42 so doubt you would get anything or not enough to make the hassle of applying worthwhile.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now