Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

TALKTALK CUSTOMERS BE WARNED!!! They cannot get away with this.....

(13 Posts)
fabanflabby Thu 01-Sep-11 14:49:02

In an attempt to change broadband and phone away from talktalk I find I cant unless I pay £140+ to have my original BT telephone line put back in ( which Talktalk removed and did not tell me or ask permission to remove - I have gone over every document from them VERY CAREFULLY from the contract!).

Talktalk put a data line in which is only compatible with Virgin and Sky
( i dont want to use either of those supliers). So im stuck unless I PAY.

To top it all, Talktalk also changed their billing cycle and had omitted to tell me ( they have apologised for this error) but now take Direct debits when they feel like it. In the past sometimes once, sometimes twice a month!

So, I have gone through many complaints via phone and letter over the last few months. they have tried their best to fob me off but I finally got a call from Talktalk's Chief Exec office to say- if I want to move supplier then pay the fee to have the line put back in. Alternatively, I could go to BT, sign up for a 12 month contract, then change after the year to another supplier that I actually want. The reality being its not their problem!

Called Ofcom. Their response unbelievably is the same!!! Im FURIOUS! Ofcom state that they dont have an issue with this practice and are aware that Talktalk bounce some customers data via BT lines! Of course they frigging do! Just not mine it would appear!!!!!

Very, very dodgy business practice here I think???

There must be something i can do as unless I pay to have my original line put back in I cant move supplier!

Sorry for the rant ladies but I think all Talktalk customers need to be aware of this shocking practice and be forewarned you will get hit with an unexpected charge if you ever decide to move!!!!

Any advice would be appreciated!

SarahBumBarer Thu 01-Sep-11 16:48:35

I thought that the TalkTalk T&C clearly set out the LLU position. It's not really a shock is it? TalkTalk want to use their own equipment to provide you with data services not have to pay BT for doing it for them. It is how they make their prices competitive and Ofcom support this not take issue with it!

I feel your pain but am a bit surprised that there is anyone left who does not know about this issue. TalkTalk is the largest telephone and broadband supplier in the UK now so really it is the other suppliers who should do something about these transfer costs if they want to get more customers away from TalkTalk (ie pay them and subsume the costs into their contracts). After all - TalkTalk did not charge you for unbundling which is presumably partially how they gained your custom on the first place.

fabanflabby Thu 01-Sep-11 20:53:18

Hi - yes it was a shock!
Im furious that talktalk took money from my bank account when they felt like it, thats unnacceptable. To have to chase them for refunds and an apology is unnaceptable! They still dont send emails regarding my account to the correct email address - dispite numerous requests.

I agreed my TalkTalk contract in May 2008 and have an email from TalkTalk confirming this. On this confirmation email TalkTalk outline all the stages a customer goes through in the switch over. NOWHERE on this email does it state that my existing line will be cut or the future financial implications of moving to another supplier.

I then received a letter 2 days later from TalkTalk confirming that order. NO TERMS AND CONDITIONS. Again no mention of the future financial implications of moving supplier.

As I understand it, transparancy during the selling process is key and that did not happen. If not being charged for 'unbundling' was part of their agreement - I would have asked what 'unbundling' actually is and what the implications are for not agreeing to it.

Also, you say so really it is the other suppliers who should do something about these transfer costs if they want to get more customers away from TalkTalk.

Really?? Ive spoken to most suppliers out there to try and move without getting hit with the £140+ cost - I didnt think to say that!

Im afraid there are still people out there who dont know about this hidden caviat in their deal as they were not informed about it at the sale. If they have been with this supplier for a while they are going to be unaware of the issues until they try to move, as I did.

So yes, sorry but I am still a bit shocked that they can get away with this.

Gonzo33 Fri 02-Sep-11 05:59:08

Every time I have switched supplier on my land line they have charged me to put a line in.

However, a friend of mine had awful trouble with talktalk which is why I will never use them.

KenDoddsDadsDog Fri 02-Sep-11 06:04:30

Sarah, I take it you work for Talk Talk?

SarahBumBarer Fri 02-Sep-11 09:25:31

Why would you take that KenDodd? As I say, they are the largest boradband landline provider in the UK so there must be some happy customers! smile No, I don't work for them. I am a customer. Sometimes they annoy me (last formal complaint was about 6 months ago) but mostly they are really good value, their technie/helpline/online forums etc are good and have saved me so much money over the 4-5 years that I have been with them that I have no issue with paying return to donor charges if I ever decide to switch away from them which will only be in the event of serious service deterioration, the India based sales team lying to me again or another service provider actually bothering to compete on prices and sign up offers. I'm just surprised that people are still so unaware of these issues - I'm not at all techie and I am reasonably au fait with LLU/return to donor stuff and ofcom's attitude towards them.

TT did royally stuff up their direct debit changes earlier this year but From what I saw anyone who was financially disadvantaged (eg where the change was not properly advised to them etc such that they incurred bank charges/penalties etc from going overdrawn) had to be refunded which serves TT right and I totally sympathise with OP being annoyed about all that. BUT the main thing OP is that they can indeed "get away with this". A lot/most people do know about it, Ofcom (as you are now aware) certainly does and to be honest calm acceptance (or even weary resignation/chalking it up to experience) would probably be better for your blood pressure. Some fights you can win - this certainly isn't one of them.

LoveBeingIgnoredByMardyBra Fri 02-Sep-11 09:42:20

Well it's not true you can't move, you can move to virgin. I also believed that with any new supplier there would be an installation charge.

LoveBeingIgnoredByMardyBra Fri 02-Sep-11 09:44:19

For eg virgin who I am with have sent me an email yesterday offering free instalation for my friends saving you £40. Let me know if you want it via pm grin

kbaby Sun 04-Sep-11 23:02:31

Hi, I was with talk talk for a number of years but new that to change suppliers I would have to pay to get the line connected. Talk talk take over the line when you transfer unlike other suppliers, its what allows them to be so cheap. I waited until a new supplier offered to sign me up and then got them to pay the connection fee if they wanted my custom, which they did.

thereinmadnesslies Sun 04-Sep-11 23:10:16

Have you tried the Talk Talk forums? here

I've used the forums twice when I've had a TT problem but got nowhere with the 'customer service' department. There are TT staff who post in the forums and they seem more clued up and helpful than the rest of TT.

ivykaty44 Sun 04-Sep-11 23:14:44

TT become the biggest supplier through take overs, they have also been fined in style for 3 million for their incompetence with billing.

LBIBMB is correct you don't need to have a BT landline - you could go with virgin

GlaikitFizzog Sun 04-Sep-11 23:17:20

Have you checked out the Post Office, I've heard they can put in a line for less than BT, on a 3 month contract I think. On iPod so cant check or link but its worth looking into.

BT are about to put their line rental up. I've heard Sky are freezing theirs for a year.

fabanflabby Sun 04-Sep-11 23:42:32

Thanks ladies for your replies and advice.
I am going to get onto the TT forum tomorrow to try and get the ridiculous billing cycle situation sorted.

Will also look at Virgin and Post office tomorrow morning after the kids have gone back to school - Yeah!!!!
Thanks again.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now