Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Just got a child tax credit payment! We dont get child tax credit!

(12 Posts)
mosschops30 Thu 01-Sep-11 09:14:18

what do i do? Ring them?
Anyone else had a random payment today?

TheArmadillo Thu 01-Sep-11 09:31:35

ring them

CogitoErgoSometimes Thu 01-Sep-11 13:45:37

Don't be too hasty. Put it in your savings account and wait for them to contact you. If they want it back they'll be in touch and, in the meantime, you get to keep the interest.

Peachy Thu 01-Sep-11 16:22:45

Sure you don't get anything? They sometimes pay old amounts (eg when you were on maternity leave) about now.

OTOH the sensible thing is to pop it in the bank and wait, but I'd be on the phone just clearing things up.

mosschops30 Thu 01-Sep-11 16:35:54

Well i dont know what to do. I didnt renew my tax credits last year and have a letter from them saying i wont recieve any payments.
We are way out of the pay bracket now im back at work.
Part of me wants to keep schtum but if i put it in my ISA it means i can never touch it anyway, i might as well phone them and see whether its mine or not.

Peachy Thu 01-Sep-11 16:48:56

It could be backdated from 2009 - 2010, isn;t that when you were on Maternity leave? <<stalker emotiocn>>

Give them a bell, can't hurt.

CogitoErgoSometimes Thu 01-Sep-11 16:50:37

Is it a lot of money? If it's £500, might be wise to see what's going on... if it's £50, keep quiet unless you get paid again next month. I expect you pay out plenty in taxes already...

mosschops30 Thu 01-Sep-11 16:57:01

Lol get away from me you mad woman grin

Have just phoned them, they said its money owed from 2010/2011, part of which i was on mat leave for. Apparently they have to wait until the following tax year

Happy days smile

CogitoErgoSometimes Thu 01-Sep-11 17:29:19

Good old HMRC.... I've waited my whole life for that Community Chest card 'tax credits error in your favour' but it never happens.

Peachy Thu 01-Sep-11 17:34:33

<<polishes Halo>>

Wouldn;t worry COgito, only happens to us when things have gone tits up!

Peachy Thu 01-Sep-11 17:35:23

As for amd woman- years ago you ahd a thread about a certain make of white dress for a wedding; I stillc an't see a white frock by them in House Of Fraser without thinking of you!

mosschops30 Thu 01-Sep-11 18:54:13

Omg you are my stalker wink. I love that dresss but havent worn it since that wedding, got a christening coming up though so it might get an airing

cognito someone was smiling on me today, my csa payment hasnt ome (suprise hmm) all my direct debits were due to go out this morning and i didnt have enough money in there. They would increase my odraft but it takes 48 hours so some of my dds would have been returned and i would have been charged!
So it was a very welcome paymemt smile. It never happens to me either

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now