Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Please help me regarding pension and insurance

(8 Posts)
NasalCoffeeEnema Tue 30-Aug-11 12:50:21

I'm a stay at home mum (30) with 4 children and have no pension or life insurance.
We are about to move to a house with lower rent so I think now might be the best time to do something about it.
I feel completely overwhelmed though. I'm good at small scale accounting (ie household budgetting) but one look at pensions and insurance and I feel like turning the computer off.
Can anyone give me any advice as to what I am looking for? I am kind of worried that any minimum payments may be too high.
Any ideas?

An0therName Tue 30-Aug-11 13:28:46

life insurance is cheap -used this guide to get ours

pension that is more complicated - - does your DH have a pension? you will be building up state pension if you are the one getting child benifit

NasalCoffeeEnema Tue 30-Aug-11 14:00:51

No he doesn't. Last time he looked at it (old company) there was no we could afford to pay the minimum payment that was over £200 a month. He hasn't been with this company long enough. trying to get him to look at it last time was hard enough, thats why I thought i may be better to just get on and at least get something sorted and as I cant do it in his name...

NasalCoffeeEnema Tue 30-Aug-11 14:51:13

Gosh can that be right
£6 a month for level term insurance?

An0therName Tue 30-Aug-11 20:20:56

said it was cheap! I would get it for both of you - a fair bit
Re pension - when your DH is eliagble I would look at it as companies make contribution as well -so if you don't join you are turning down free money , plus you get the tax back -and many schemes include an element of life insurance - plus often spouse pension
however you do need to look at the wider look at your finances - would you like to buy a house sometime? if you do then it means when you retire it mean provided you have paid the mortage off you don't have rent to pay - can make a big differece
do you have emergency savings? do you want to save for your DC?

NasalCoffeeEnema Tue 30-Aug-11 21:07:20

We have emergency savings at the moment in that we sold our house and have been renting while our lives sort themselves out. We hope to buy again in the next few years and the money will go towards that.
DH has life insurance from when we had a mortgage. Will definitely sign us both up for that level term though.
Will nag dh more to get his pension sorted. Better to put our money that way. I feel safe doing that as my parents have arranged things so I will always be secure (unless something drastic happens like war) I didn't want to rely on them though hence trying to set something up. We are also lucky in that our children have a small trust fund (thanks to dhs parents... we are blessed) but when things settle I would like to start saving for them again. I get cb
Thanks for your help

An0therName Tue 30-Aug-11 21:11:52

yes agree in the case your DH pension is prority -

CogitoErgoSometimes Wed 31-Aug-11 08:16:55

If what you're really talking about is 'retirement/old age planning' there are various choices. You can take out personal pension plans quite easily. Main thing to compare are the fees and charges for administering the fund. Main advantage to pension plans is that for every £1 you contribute the tax is contributed as well. The downside is that once the money is invested, you don't see it again until retirement age.

But there are alternatives. Some people put money aside in Cash ISAs where the interest is tax-free and then, when they want to retire, they have a fund with some flexibility. Index-linked bonds taken out over 3 or 5 years at a time are also quite popular because they tend to pay relatively well and should cushion you against inflation. And unit trust or stocks and shares ISAs are a different method of putting money aside for the long-term i.e. 10 years+. Or some combination of all the above to spread the risks

If you and your DH feel that your retirement planning needs work then it could be a time to talk to an Independent Financial Advisor. A good one can guide you through all the options.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: