Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

I have a small business and am taking dividends below the tax allowance

(9 Posts)
BumptiousandBustly Sun 28-Aug-11 21:09:31

IF I am taking dividends below the tax allowance (a lot below) do I still need to file tax returns?

mranchovy Mon 29-Aug-11 00:03:18

I assume this is a limited company? The company will have to complete a tax return, and if you have been sent an individual tax return (or a notice to complete a return), you need to complete and return it.

belledechocchipcookie Mon 29-Aug-11 00:06:05

Yup. Even if you're losing money they want a tax return.

BumptiousandBustly Tue 30-Aug-11 08:06:01

OK, thanks ladies - Yes It is a limited company and we have, of course, filled tax returns for it. I have not been sent a personal tax return to fill in, does that mean they don't want one, or do I need to get one from them?

ChasingSquirrels Tue 30-Aug-11 08:10:10

You need to inform HMRC that you have a new source of income (dividends). They will then probably decide you need to do a tax return.
As an aside presumably you are also taking salary up to the personal allowance before the dividends.

BumptiousandBustly Tue 30-Aug-11 19:42:26

chasing squirells - nope - this is currently my only income (SAHM) - so dividends - presumably means no NI etc - but its the only money I am taking from the business - so should be no tax on it i presume - AARRRGG - Maybe I will have to contact the tax office, or some kind of tax advisor

BumptiousandBustly Tue 30-Aug-11 19:43:04

(NB - its a really small business - only started a year ago - so am genuinely only taking very small amount)

ChasingSquirrels Tue 30-Aug-11 20:42:34

The NI limit is almost identical to the tax personal allowance.
If you have no other income you should, without any shadow of a doubt, be taking a salary upto a maximum level of the NI limit.
This remains free of personal tax and NI (as it is below the limits) but is tax deductible for your company - which dividends are not.
Depending on how much you take it may also bring you within the 2nd state pension regime and maintains your NI contributions (there is a small band where up don't actually pay NI but your record is treated as if you have).

I would suggest you get some decent advice, who is sorting your company accounts and tax return? They should have advised you of the above.

BumptiousandBustly Wed 31-Aug-11 11:03:27

Chasing squirils - its my brother's wife's sister! - I will get some decent advice thankyou and and go from there

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now