Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Maternity Allowance

(4 Posts)
ToriaPumpkinPasty Sat 27-Aug-11 14:27:50

I've tried reading all the notes and leaflets, I've downloaded every pdf on the internet (or so it feels) and my brain is now utterly minced.

For the last 22 months I've been working in a retail job. That job now no longer exists as the company are going under and I, along with my colleagues, have all been made redundant.

I'm 31 weeks pregnant.

Work did know I was pregnant (obviously, I have a fairly substantial bump now) and I had told the MD in person that I was pregnant but as we were given notice that we would be losing our jobs I never handed in my MATB1 or received an SMP1.

The directgov website says that MA is for people who are employed, self employed or who have recently been employed but are not eligible for SMP. That would suggest I am eligible. I worked enough weeks in the test period, earned over the threshold etc.

I know that really I should just bite the bullet and call to make an appt at the job centre but it's a PITA getting into town atm and last time I had dealings with them they were about as useful as chocolate cups so I was hoping to be able to make my claim directly to the offices on paper and cut out the middle man as it were.

Does anyone have a bit of insight here before I go mad and just shove all my documents in a big envelope and post them to some poor unsuspecting office worker in Yeovil?

vj32 Sat 27-Aug-11 15:45:58

You can just send in the form. Thats what I did. When there was a potential problem with it a nice man rang me. Was all sorted much quicker than I expected - within 2 weeks I think. It is paid into your bank account every 2 weeks.

ToriaPumpkinPasty Sun 28-Aug-11 22:53:45

Thank you, I think I've got there now, just need to put it all in an envelope and hope for the best! I have provided two phone numbers so fingers crossed smile

pookamoo Sun 28-Aug-11 23:00:18

I felt exactly the same! I filled in the form and sent it off with pay slips etc, and there were a few mistakes on it, so they just sent it back to me with red marks to show what I needed to change. It felt a bit like getting my homework back with corrections!

They accepted it fine second time around and now I have started receiving payments, as well as a lump sum back-payment, which was a really nice surprise, direct into my bank account.

The forms are not designed for brains that are already frazzled by pregnancy! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now