Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Mortgage without marriage

(8 Posts)
TeaSippingPterodactyl Tue 23-Aug-11 18:03:58

Am hoping someone can help.My friend has been in a relationship though not married,for 15 years.She has a joint mortgage with her partner,and he was always happy for her to work part time and look after the house,garden, dogs etc whilst he paid the mortgage and went out to work.I must stress that they were both happy with this arrangement. Her partner has recently announced that he has met someone else and wants to move on. She has a joint mortgage with her partner,and I was sure this meant that she is entitled to half of the proceeds but he has stated that as he has paid the lion's share, he is legally entitled to a larger percentage than her. Can anyone please help me put her mind at rest?

HeidiHole Tue 23-Aug-11 18:08:27

I believe (though just my opinion) that if you have a joint mortgage and joint ownership at land registry then you are entitled to half

Who actually 'paid' is utterly irrelevant. Your friend should get half the house.

ginmakesitallok Tue 23-Aug-11 18:09:37

If they have joint title to the house then she is entitled to half

beanlet Tue 23-Aug-11 18:10:45

Cross post in legal.

TeaSippingPterodactyl Tue 23-Aug-11 18:12:25

Thankyou-tis as I thought and she will be mighty relieved!

TeaSippingPterodactyl Tue 23-Aug-11 18:13:25

Will do Beanlet ,thanks.

EvaAnna Wed 24-Aug-11 11:27:05

Remember, joint mortgage doesn't initially mean joint ownership - she needs to be registered with land registry as joint owner. If so, she is entitled to half.

niceguy2 Wed 24-Aug-11 19:50:36

Technically she's entitled to half since she's joint tenants.

However, if he has contributed a lot more then he could take the matter to court. I doubt he'd get much more and it'd probably cost him more in fees than he'd get so it's going to be a hell of a gamble for him.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now