Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Question about maternity pay for teachers

(5 Posts)
candr Mon 15-Aug-11 17:28:03

Hi, I received a form with the breakdown of my maternity pay and am a bit confused. I thought that as I am due end of Sep my maternity leave starts at the start of Sep and I should still get August pay as normal. My breakdown has me on mat pay (full pay) for first 2 weeks of Sep and then drops from £600 ish to £128 until end of April. Should I recieve full pay for 6 weeks then half pay for some time as from this I only get 2 weeks of full pay and then less than a quater for the rest?

tethersend Mon 15-Aug-11 17:33:54

You are entitled to 4 weeks full pay and two weeks at 90% then 12 weeks at 50% IIRC.

Which date did you give as the start of your mat leave?

elliepac Mon 15-Aug-11 17:58:41

I got only 2 weeks at full pay, then 6 weeks at 90%, then a further 10 weeks at 50%. the 10 weeks also had stat mat pay on top as well. I then went to just stat mat pay.

Does that make any sense with your figures?

tethersend Mon 15-Aug-11 18:07:54

From the NUT:

(For teacher with 26 weeks or more continuous service)

Eligible teachers will be entitled to the following benefits.

Ordinary maternity leave of up to 26 weeks which will be paid leave as follows:

• first 4 weeks of absence: full pay inclusive of Statutory Maternity Pay (SMP);
• next 2 weeks: 90 per cent of a week’s salary inclusive of SMP;
• next 12 weeks: half pay plus £128.73 SMP (not exceeding full pay);
• next 8 weeks: £128.73 SMP.

Additional maternity leave of up to a further 26 weeks, 13 of which will be paid at the SMP rate of £128.73 per week, with the remaining 13 weeks unpaid.

So you were not paid correctly, elliepac- although the total amount may be about the same (not a maths teacher wink). When did you take maternity leave?

elliepac Mon 15-Aug-11 18:21:57

Sorry candr as tethersend quite intelligently put it, I am not a maths teacher gringrin and when faced with the info from NUT that is indeed what I got paid.

I am an idiot with a long term memory problem grin. And they pay me to teach the future of the nation ( history not maths you will be pleased to hear grin).

<< elliepac retreats in shame from thread leaving it in tethersend's far more intelligent>> gringrin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now