Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Has anyone applies for cb jsa whilst on unpaid maternity?

(14 Posts)
pinkyp Fri 12-Aug-11 15:25:37

Anyone applied for contribution based jsa whilst on unpaid maternity? No one seems to know if I can get it or not, I've searches everywhere and spoken to several different ppl at job centre, no one knows :-/

NatashaBee Fri 12-Aug-11 15:33:12

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

nickelbabe Fri 12-Aug-11 15:51:26

you might be able to get Maternity Allowance (MA) but you won't be able to get JSA if you're still employed.

pinkyp Fri 12-Aug-11 22:19:29

I'm employed but not getting paid now as I'm on unpaid maternity. Contribution based jsa is different to normal jsa. You cam claim it whilst working and your partners income isn't included etc.

loveme2 Sat 13-Aug-11 09:38:12

JSA including Contribution based is for people who are out of work or working less then 16 hours per week.To claim you must be available for, capable of and actively seeking work.Be over 18 but under State Pension age.
Contribution-based Jobseeker's Allowance is paid if you have paid enough National Insurance contributions.It is paid for up to 182 days.While on CBJSA your partners income isn't taken into account,like it would be on income support JSA.
You have said you are employed so unless you are contracted to work less then 16hrs you can't claim any JSA.Why are you not being paid ML?Have you got a DP/H?

loveme2 Sat 13-Aug-11 09:38:45

ML=MP sorry

pinkyp Sat 13-Aug-11 11:42:22

i'm contracted to 14hrs, i got smp but its come to an end now, i was just wondering what i'd be entitled to and i saw cjsa and it didnt say if i could or not. i cant seem to get a definate answer so i thought i'd ask on here see if anyone has applied for it in similar situations.

pinkyp Sat 13-Aug-11 11:44:54

i am activley seeking work but dont have a child carer anymore, my mum use to do it but cant now. Dh works 9-6 40 mins away so sets of at 8am and doesnt get back til 6.40. He gets sunday and wednesday off but these can change with one weeks notice, so i'm a bit stuck.

nickelbabe Sat 13-Aug-11 12:42:08

if you're normally contracted to 14 hours, then it's worth a try.

The only way you'll know for definite if you can get it is to apply for it.
smile

pinkyp Tue 23-Aug-11 11:06:48

I got it!!! Just thought I'd post the outcome incase anyone else was thinking of applying for it

emamos612 Thu 25-Aug-11 16:24:49

You got it? I came on here about to post the same question! My SMA will come to an end in October but I'm not back at work till Jan and only working 14hrs pw then. Is that the same situation? Great news if it is!! smile

pinkyp Fri 26-Aug-11 00:33:26

Having problems with it now sad see other post. Depends on n.I contributions from 2008/2009 & 2009/2010 one of my years is too low, I've passed but don't recieve a penny

M1SSUNDERSTOOD Fri 26-Aug-11 12:59:47

I get it for working less than 16 hours per week having been made redundant from my second job. As I still work part time my income is taken into account pound for pound(think £5 is disregarded iirc). So I get nothing from it either. It is not even a passport benefit either as you don't qualify for fsm etc. such is life. I am only signing on as a requirement of my insurance policy which pays mortgage. It is not an easy option as they make you fill in diary and can sanction you if they don't think you are actively job seeking. In my case they would sign me off and I would lose insurance payments so lose out.

pinkyp Mon 12-Sep-11 00:15:26

Well! I queried my claim and they said "oh it was a computer error" so you ARE entitled to it! They paid me all back pay etc but I was so annoyed I argued with the bloke who told me no for 30 mins and this lady had spotted the error straight away

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now