Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

jobseekers allowance?

(4 Posts)
jollymollie Mon 08-Aug-11 10:23:52

I wonder if anyone can help. I am married and a sahm at the moment. dh is self employed and we have an annual household income of less than £16000. I really wanted to start an access to higher education course in september but have just spoken to the advice line and because i get working tax credits and not job seekers allowance I have to pay about £600 towards the course which i can't afford. Would i be eligible to claim jsa and have this taken off my tax credits so i would be able to go to college? i have worked a lot in the past and paid a fair amount of ni contributions. If not i'll have to give up on my dreams of study sad

CogitoErgoSometimes Mon 08-Aug-11 10:31:29

Was the advice line connected with the college? If not, you may find somewhere like the student union could help you. I'm sure, for example, that you'd be entitled to take out a student loan to cover your £600 fee. There may be other grants available for mature students on low incomes.

HappyMummyOfOne Mon 08-Aug-11 13:15:49

How long have you been a SAHM? If you dont have two recent full years of NI contributions you wont be able to claim JSA. Added to that, it doesnt actually sound like you will be job seeking and you would need to be.

The other factor may be that lots of benefits linked to JSA mean it has to be income based not contributions based and you cant get that as you have a household income.

I'd look at your outgoings again, if you are getting £16k s/e income (which means its highly likely to be much higher due to the things you can deduct) plus WTC, CTC and CB then you may be able to budget for the fees.

vj32 Wed 10-Aug-11 19:29:41

Are you under 25?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now