Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

car insurance

(4 Posts)
catwithflowers Sun 07-Aug-11 12:45:05

I have been driving since 1989 but have always been a named driver on my husband's insurance. We separated earlier this year and I need to get car insurance in my own name for a new car. I have filled in a few online enquiry forms but there seems to be no taking into account the fact that I have been driving for years - I think my husband had max no claims bonus.

If I talk directly to the insurance firms, should there be any discount for the years I drove as a named driver or do I have to start all over a new driver? The quotes I am getting are in excess of 1,100 pounds per year shock

HarrietJones Sun 07-Aug-11 12:46:38

No discount but if you went with the same company they very occasionally offer a slight discount.

Insurance is hiking at the moment anyway.

catwithflowers Sun 07-Aug-11 12:47:31

Am moving from one country to another so insurance def won't be with the same company sad

wicketkeeper Fri 12-Aug-11 21:14:14

You might be able to get an introductory bonus (usually about 30%), but you will need a letter from the policyholder to say that there were no claims on the policy that were your fault during the last however many years (usually 5). They will also need the policy number and insurance company name of the policy you were on. Whether you can get this or not will depend on how amenable your ex is being. Definitely try the insurers you were with before, but shop around as well. Shouldn't make any difference if you are moving within the EU, but don't know about moves further afield.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: