Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

is it illegal to permit someone else to use your credit card?

(17 Posts)
Ponders Thu 04-Aug-11 19:52:04

DD1 is going to New York for 2 weeks (this week, so no time for her to change anything) & her credit card charges for overseas transactions; I have one that doesn't & we have the same initial & surname.

They don't use chip & pin over there apparently, just signature, backed up with passport for ID.

If I lend her my card, is that criminal???? shock

If there are problems she can use her own card instead, but I don't want her clapped in irons for trying to use mine!

RedBlanket Thu 04-Aug-11 20:01:00

Not sure about legalities but when we were in Florida recently I used my DH's for the entire time thinking it was mine (2 cards on the same account). The signature wasn't checked once, just as well because its completely different.
Can you get her a card on your account just in case?

Ponders Thu 04-Aug-11 20:07:29

oh thanks, RB, that's very reassuring smile

She's going on Tuesday so there isn't time to get her a new card, unfortunately; but having read your post, I think we can risk it!

thisisyesterday Thu 04-Aug-11 20:14:02

i believe it's fraud, yes.
and if anything happened and it was used fraudulently (by someone else) it'd be tough as you would have disclosed your PIN

thisisyesterday Thu 04-Aug-11 20:14:27

oh sorry, if you're using signature then def fraudulent because she is basically pretending to be you.

Ponders Thu 04-Aug-11 20:22:03

oh dear sad

Portofino Thu 04-Aug-11 20:24:06

Can she not just get cash out with it as she needs it? No worries with signatures then.

Ponders Thu 04-Aug-11 20:38:32

um - she could - but purchases are free, cash withdrawals might not be.

I'll have a look anyway, Portofino, thanks

thisisyesterday Thu 04-Aug-11 22:05:08

i would advise her to just take cash, and then use the credit card only in an emergency

Portofino Thu 04-Aug-11 22:20:12

But what you pay is miniscule really. A few withdrawals from the cash point is going to cost, what £10? If you can't cope with that, you have no business being in NY on holiday. Bloody tips will cost you more.

Ponders Fri 05-Aug-11 11:27:11

That is true, Portofino - I've been brainwashed by Martin Lewis blush

emmanumber3 Fri 05-Aug-11 11:32:42

Does her signature look like yours? I assume your card is signed - someone may check at some point.

IMO it would be safer to let her take & use her own card & accept that there will be fees rather than you both spend the fortnight worrying about legalities smile.

Flowerista Fri 05-Aug-11 11:35:29

Ive been to NY lots and chip & pin is everywhere just like here. Your only problem will be if she loses it, don't fancy having that conversation about sharing your pin with the bank.

Solo Fri 05-Aug-11 11:39:40

But isn't there a £2.50 minimum fee for cash withdrawals? so would depend on how much/how many withdrawals.

Why doesn't she take travellers cheques instead? much safer all round IMO/E.

hocuspontas Fri 05-Aug-11 11:42:57

We lent dd1 our credit card yesterday and because she only needed the pin number and we gave it to her, we didn't think it was fraudulent but are willing to be told that is wrong.

Imnotaslimjim Fri 05-Aug-11 11:46:09

Why hasn't she got time to get anything changed? Can't she go the post office or bearau de change in a travel agents before she goes? Buy enough and some of them don't charge

scurryfunge Fri 05-Aug-11 11:48:55

Have a look at the terms and conditions for your account. I expect the card usage is not transferable.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now