Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Anyone know about charges for late tax returns when you owe no tax?

(11 Posts)
SugarBugger Wed 03-Aug-11 21:56:54

I've just found my tax return, it was already a bit late but somehow I didn't send it and I thought I had - the forms say all sorts of hideous things about what I'll owe them as it's so many months late, but I remember the guy on the phone there saying that because I don't owe any tax at all I wouldn't be charged anything for it being late.

Does anybody know the truth about whether I'll be severely charged or not? (I have the charges in front of me on the tax return notes) Please help I feel sick with worry! sad

SugarBugger Wed 03-Aug-11 22:09:56

bump

diggingintheribs Wed 03-Aug-11 22:12:58

I believe the penalty will be the lower of the fixed rate penalty or the unpaid tax

get it in quick though!!

Danthe4th Wed 03-Aug-11 22:15:31

hang on i'll ask dh

SugarBugger Wed 03-Aug-11 22:18:45

I just read this: the 2009/10 tax return, the one that was due on 31 January 2011 was the last return where, if you had paid all the tax you owed by 31 January (which was also the payment deadline) you would actually be OK, as the amount of your Self Assessment penalty is ‘capped’ for some individuals (but not partnerships) which means that the penalty can’t be more than the amount of tax unpaid at 31 January. If this does apply to you, the penalty should be automatically adjusted.

God I hope that means something good! sad

Danthe4th Wed 03-Aug-11 22:19:32

He just said is it the 09/10 tax return, because if it is the old rules apply which are that the £100 fine will be waived if no tax is due.

As of this year if it is the 10/11 which is due later this year if that one is late the fee will stand even if you don't owe tax.

casperella Wed 03-Aug-11 22:20:37

The fixed penalty is £100 for "back years" ie up to tax year 2009/10, but I think they waive it if you don't owe any tax (don't sue me though).

After that it's more complicated... see www.hmrc.gov.uk/sa/deadlines-penalties.htm#3

SugarBugger Wed 03-Aug-11 22:21:17

Thank you, I so hope you're right! I'll be phoning them as soon as the lines open tomorrow, and then I'm off to the post to get the damn thing sent off properly! I doubt I'll be able to sleep tonight for worry in case we're wrong.

Danthe4th Wed 03-Aug-11 22:26:18

Were not wrong honestly, dh works for hmrc

SugarBugger Wed 03-Aug-11 22:28:23

Oh right! Oh well thanks very much for taking the time to respond then, I might get some sleep now! :-)

Morph2 Fri 05-Aug-11 23:27:37

you have to get the return in first tho, they won't do anything about cancelling the fine until its filed

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now