Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

25 weeks pregnant and just been made redundant

(5 Posts)
touche2 Tue 02-Aug-11 10:02:23

Hi - just wondering if anybody can help me as i'm really confused. I've just been told i will be made redundant at the end of the month, and i have no idea what to do next - apart from panic! My husbands business is very slow, he doesn't even make enough money a month to buy the shopping, so my wages pay for all bills etc. I've been told from the Jobcentre that i can't do anything until the day i finish work, and then will have to be assessed which can take up to 4 weeks - is this right? they also said i wouldn't qualify for maternity allowance as its calculated on the last 13 weeks of my pregnancy - which i won't be working for. I'm so confused! any help or guidance anyone can give i would be so grateful.

iskra Tue 02-Aug-11 10:09:16

Not true about the MA. You qualify if you have been working for I think 26 of the 66 weeks preceding due date. Check the exact dates. Rates are assessed based on 13 weeks that you nominate ie your highest paid weeks. At least that's how I remember it!

touche2 Tue 02-Aug-11 19:01:30

Hi - thanks for the info, the Job centre have told me to wait until the end of the month then they will go through everything with me - told me to be positive!

Roxy33 Thu 04-Aug-11 09:47:17

Can I just ask, do you feel that you were perhaps targeted for redundancy because you were pregnant? I don't know your circumstances or what type of firm you work for etc. so interested to here more.

Roxy33 Thu 04-Aug-11 09:47:48

Sorry, coffee only kicking in.....'hear more'.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now