Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Old age planning?

(3 Posts)
CogitoErgoSometimes Mon 01-Aug-11 15:16:37

Millions face bleak old age

Do you have a game-plan? The news story above made me think. I know the state pension is rubbish so I do have a private one, but I'll confess that I don't read those statements very closely when they land on the mat every year. I have some savings but they're earmarked for paying down the mortgage and DS might be going to uni in a few years' time. The house is worth a few quid - that's something.

Are you better organised than me? More haphazard? Not planning to get old? smile

Gonzo33 Mon 01-Aug-11 15:28:00

Cogito, for someone whom I assume is a financial adviser I expected better from you grin. That said, I am a qualified mortgage adviser and I am in the same boat. TBH once my hubby has finished his Crown Employee work I am hoping to start hammering money into savings for our pensions. We are hoping to move abroad though, hence why into savings and not a pension fund.

CogitoErgoSometimes Mon 01-Aug-11 16:04:38

Not a financial advisor at all. Just someone that (ironically) really keeps tabs on money and takes an interest in investments etc. But I seem to have a bit of blind spot where old age planning is concerned! Maybe I'm kidding myself it won't happen to me? <eternal youth emoticon>

I think part of the problem is that it's all bits and pieces and the control feels minimal. I have one old pension fund, for example, that I'm told is doing too well to transfer but when the statement comes and it says 'based on average growth of blah you will get a pension of blah'... I'm not sure what I can do. No idea if the 'average growth' forecast is anything like realistic. I can't get the money out and put it somewhere else. I can't add to it. I'm presumably paying fees for someone to look after it....

Think I'll probably end up going the savings route as well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now