Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Car Insurance and Speeding Points

(6 Posts)
LIZS Mon 01-Aug-11 12:35:12

Points from May 2007 still recorded on insurance renewal notice - I thought legally they expired after 4 years but insurance co. says 5.

Gonzo33 Mon 01-Aug-11 15:25:20

I thought legally they expired after 3, hmm.

However:

www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/DriverLicensing/EndorsementsAndDisqualifications/DG_10022425

states 4 years too.

HarrietJones Mon 01-Aug-11 15:27:47

I thought they expired after 3 but insurance companies liked 5 years of data

AnnOdyne Mon 01-Aug-11 15:33:18

yup
stay on licence although are not liable for totting.

26minutes Mon 01-Aug-11 15:33:40

They expire after 3 (as in they stop totting them up) but they stay on your licence for an extra year, insurance companies want to know about them for 5, which I think is totally wrong as if they're expired and no longer any concern to the dvla then what business is it of theirs?

LIZS Mon 01-Aug-11 15:53:44

Thanks all, didn't know if it might differ from one insurer to another but by sounds of it probably not.

Exactly 26minutes hence my confusion, and was told that taking a Speed Awareness course option doesn't even need to be notiifed, even though surely you are admitting an offence.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now