Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Swapping DDs to a different account

(6 Posts)
Sarsaparilllla Mon 01-Aug-11 11:39:28

Since me & DP re getting married next year I want to get our finances sorted, we've got a joint account but we don't really use it so I want to get all the household direct debits to come out of that, and we both pay money into it each month

Now, I assumed that the bank could do this for me? But I rang them (Barclays) and they've said I need to contact each of the companiers, fill in forms and do it all myself basically, which sounds like a right pain in the bum!! hmm

I thought banks could do this kind of thing for you? Am I wrong?

CogitoErgoSometimes Mon 01-Aug-11 11:55:18

If Barclays are being unhelpful, now could be a good time to change banks all together. When I switched to the Halifax, they not only moved all my DDs etc, for me (and did a good job), they also paid me £100 for being a new customer smile

Sarsaparilllla Mon 01-Aug-11 12:20:36

Yes, you're right, if Halifax do that service I might go with them instead, I thought it was possible for a bank to swap the DDs, but the guy I spoke to seemed to think I was asking for something unheard of and ridiculous!!!

Sarsaparilllla Mon 01-Aug-11 12:22:28

Damn, pressed post too soon! & I know I could do it all myself but I'm worried about with contacting each place direct whether they'll all get changed at the same time etc, if it was all done at the same time it would be so much easier, I don't want to end up some on one account, some on another...

Barclays have a bank account transfer service. They have to according to the Banking Code. ask.barclays.co.uk/help/day2day_banking/move_account I know the team personally who actually do the transferring so I know that it happens grin

Your branch should be able to assist you no problem but the contact centre should do as well. Sounds like you got a lazy customer adviser sorry to say sad

redheelsandwine Mon 01-Aug-11 22:12:32

I work for natwest and if you want to change a dd to come from one account to another, we can do it in branch. We are also offering cashback to new customers, give it a thought grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now