Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

How much are you paying in utility bills if you live in an old house?

(9 Posts)
trixymalixy Sun 31-Jul-11 14:15:56

Ours seem absolutely astronomical £80pm for electricity and £250 a month for gas, but that does include paying back an underpayment as they got our initial DD wrong.

Are yours as bad?

feckwit Sun 31-Jul-11 14:17:23

Not an old house, just a 3 bed semi with lots of children and appliances!

We're paying £80 a month electricty and £50 gas.

HarrietJones Sun 31-Jul-11 14:18:09

£80 for both. Terraced town house. 250 yo.

gomez Sun 31-Jul-11 14:20:34

250 per month for both.

4 bed detached around 125 years old.

trixymalixy Sun 31-Jul-11 14:31:46

Bloomin heck Harriet, what's your secret?

Ours is an 18th century draughty 4 bed farmhouse.

HarrietJones Sun 31-Jul-11 14:46:03

Terrace I think! Our top floor needs no heating most of the year as it's so warm( well insulated loft) , good double glazing, thick curtains. Think it's the terrace bit though. We don't use a lot of electric though that's about £20 of it.

trixymalixy Sun 31-Jul-11 15:03:12

We really need to try and cut back. It's pretty scary when you work out the daily rate!!!

We've had insulation installed in the roof and I've just found someone selling front door seals which is our biggest source of heat loss.

HarrietJones Sun 31-Jul-11 15:18:09

Yes we have the draught brush things on all the doors

CogitoErgoSometimes Mon 01-Aug-11 06:47:49

Does a 1930's 3-bed semi count as old? I've had loft insulation, a new front door and double-glazing installed and our monthy bill is £92 for gas and electric combined. Solid walls so no need for cavity wall insulation. Prior to the insulation measures the bills were far higher. Talk to the Energy Saving Trust as there may be grants available.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now