Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

tax credits are saying £4000 overpayment!! wtf

(8 Posts)
chosenone Tue 26-Jul-11 17:59:03

1st letter arrives saying I will get a one off payment of £4374 next week and then massive amounts each month, realised it was wrong straight away but the next day... 2nd letter arrives telling me to ignore the 1st and that i will be getting £272 a month but that I have been overpaid by £4000!! When me and exDH seperated just after last renewal I was on my own with a 26k salary and childcare costs of £100 a week, and got approx £320 a month was I overpaid!?! Can't get through on the helpline but will keep trying and put it all in writing I reckon.

loveme2 Tue 26-Jul-11 18:49:38

How many DC do you have?

chosenone Tue 26-Jul-11 18:50:41

two - one in nursery one at school

loveme2 Tue 26-Jul-11 19:15:54

I have just worked it out that you would be entitled to £489 per mth,this year.
That's worked out with you working over 30 hours,with a income of £26k before tax.
Have you made sure that your exH income isn't included ?

chosenone Tue 26-Jul-11 19:34:12

Thanks for that loveme2 i will ring and check when i can get through and get it in writing! They say I owe more than they even gave me last year! But yes I'll check its based on my income only, but i did think it was 70% of childcare so if mine is £400m a month Id get £320 which is what I was getting.

loveme2 Tue 26-Jul-11 19:38:07

The £489 is working tax and child tax credits.I think, but not 100% sure,that the childcare part is included in that.

chosenone Tue 26-Jul-11 20:15:58

thanks- hoping to god I don't owe them that back then- cheers

howabout Wed 27-Jul-11 06:14:25

Definitely recommend getting it all down in writing. Don't panic as they do make mistakes quite regularly. Does the £4k owed not refer to the one off payment they were about to pay you in error? Double check it hasn't appeared in your bank account. I think you are right about the £320 but I think you should also be entitled to a small amount of children's tax credit as well. My only caveat is that as I have never claimed child care costs I don't know categorically how the entitlement phases out with income.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: