Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Petrol money?

(6 Posts)
BrummieMummie Thu 21-Jul-11 23:13:12

DH and I are driving to a wedding in a few of weeks time. We have also agreed to give 3 friends a lift there - another couple and a single man.

It is a 250 mile drive on mainly motorways and A-roads; Google Maps says 5 hours but it will be Friday evening when we drive there so will be longer than that in reality. FWIW, it predicts the cost of petrol for the journey (one way) to be £50. There will also be a bit of driving while we are down there - we are staying in a hotel about 10 minutes drive from the venue.

They have said they will give us money for petrol and asked how much we would like. Just wondering what everyone thinks is a fair amount really?

Graciescotland Thu 21-Jul-11 23:20:54

I'd probably not charge as you're going anyway. However if your feeling poor twenty pounds each and bring some nice food for the journey down seems reasonable.

fortyplus Thu 21-Jul-11 23:22:01

I don't think it would be unreasonable to suggest £40 to the couple and £20 to the single man - you have all the running costs of the car and will be doing all the driving so if it's going to cost you £100 in fuel it's fair that they should contribute just over half the cost of fuel.

Incidentally - we recently made a 500 mile round trip and 'only' spent £75 on diesel so maybe the Google maps estimate is a little high?

fortyplus Thu 21-Jul-11 23:23:33

ps we have all our fuel paid for by dh's work (though it costs us a fortune in tax) so I never ask passengers for fuel money anyway

Shinyshoes1 Sat 23-Jul-11 23:20:27

about £30-40 and if they cause a fuss I defy them to get it cheaper than that

cat64 Sat 23-Jul-11 23:26:42

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now