Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

CSA - can all of non-resident parent's income be paid into a pension?

(4 Posts)
MollieO Thu 21-Jul-11 14:50:42

That's my question. The man I spoke to at the CSA didn't understand my question so I hope a MNetter may.

I strongly suspect ds's father is hiding his income (self employed). Is it possible for him to put all of it into his pension or is there a limit (either monetary amount or percentage limit)?

OldLadyKnowsNothing Thu 21-Jul-11 15:51:52

According to this, £50k is the maximum contribution pa. But there are complications...

MollieO Thu 21-Jul-11 15:55:55

Thanks for that. Just had a helpful person call from the CSA. Ds's father is self employed so it is incredibly complicated and it is pretty apparent that he is hiding his income. CSA chap was helpful but hands tied by HMRC and how little they bother to investigate.

CogitoErgoSometimes Thu 21-Jul-11 17:12:41

I'm very sure HMRC will investigate if there is suspicion of evasion, but I think what you're coming up against is that there are many legitimate ways for a self-employed person to reduce the amount that they declare as 'taxable income'... which will be the number that the CSA uses to make its calculations. If you think he's acting illegally and evading tax so that he can wriggle out of his obligations as a father (and what a gold-plated piece of shit he would be to do that, eh?), there's nothing to stop you reporting him to HMRC personally

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: