Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Economy 7 and overpayment

(4 Posts)
cleoismycat Thu 21-Jul-11 13:09:29

Hi,

We're just found out that we have been paying over the odds for electricity as we are on an Economy 7 tariff when we don't have Economy 7!! you would have thought they would have told us. We've only found out as we are trying to switch companies.
Has anyone managed to claim money back in these circumstances? It's probably about £2000 over the years!!

thanks

CogitoErgoSometimes Thu 21-Jul-11 13:16:02

If you don't have an Economy 7 dual meter - is that what you're saying? - then your electricity company should have picked that up from meter readings in the first place. (Did they not notice they were only getting the one reading?) But some of the responsibility would be on the customer for similar reasons.

All you can do is ask. I'd start with a letter, pointing out the problem and asking what compensation they intend to offer. Take it from there and good luck

cleoismycat Thu 21-Jul-11 14:04:45

thanks, hopefully I'll have some success, let you know!

CogitoErgoSometimes Thu 21-Jul-11 16:56:28

May I recommend the 'PNS' system (stolen from James Herriot) for writing to get compensation? 'Polite' letter, 'Nasty' letter and finally 'Solicitors' letter smile Or in their case 'Copied to the Ombudsman' letter....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now