Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Changing Joint Child Tax Credits Claim to Single One

(9 Posts)
humbugholder Wed 20-Jul-11 18:15:42

My husband and I have recently separated and he has moved back with his parents. I need to change our Child Tax Credits claim so that it is just in my name and based on my earnings as I now have to take responsibility for paying all the household bills (he is going to continue paying the mortgage).

I just wondered whether when I phone CTC, will they have to cancel our exisiting claim and start a whole new one for me, or can he just be removed? Also, will they have to write to him at his parents address for confirmation that we are no longer together? I so hope not as I know his mother will open his mail and I really don't want her knowing any of my business.

Roughly how long do they tend to take to sort things out when you start a single claim? I assume my money will stop and they will have to re-assess, but I just don't know how I would cope financially if I had to wait a long time with no CTC coming in.

tallulah Wed 20-Jul-11 18:24:52

Yes they cease the existing one and start a new one.> You can end up with an overpayment because of it (don't quite know how but it's happened to a couple of friends). probably worth asking them about it when you ring.

loveme2 Wed 20-Jul-11 18:30:32

They will stop your claim and you will have to put in a new claim.
I think it took about 6 weeks for DIL's to be sorted.Not sure if they contacted her exH,but i know they asked for his new address.

humbugholder Wed 20-Jul-11 18:39:22

Thanks girls. I definitely won't get an overpayment as we have never recieved WTC and are on a fairly low amount. I have two disabled children and only work 6 hours per week, so I know that the amount I recieve as a single parent will be far higher than what we currently get.

loveme2 Wed 20-Jul-11 22:31:23

You should also claim IS.You won't get WTC because you aren't working enough hours.But the amount of CTC you get might go up,and you will get council tax benefit.

nojustificationneeded Wed 20-Jul-11 22:49:23

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LawrieMarlow Wed 20-Jul-11 22:57:06

When H moved out I called and they stopped the joint claim and set up the new one there and then. Got my first payment two weeks later I think. Don't think he got anything about my new claim but we did both separately get letters at renewal time for the old claim.

Hope you're OK - I found when I was actively sorting out admin things I kept going but did have a bit of a dip recently. Am keeping going again now though.

Becyboo91 Thu 04-Feb-16 20:47:09

I am about to change my joint child tax claim to single after separating from partner, I've heard it can take awhile and payments stop but does it still take that long to sort out? I'm very worried as I'll be living off £20 a week with a child and 6 months pregnant.. I'm waiting to hear about a re claim for jsa which is going to take awhile to sort. Just don't know how I'm going to live with bills and food "/ surely it can't be possible to be left penniless for essentials for 4 weeks+ sad

MamaTeeTee Thu 04-Feb-16 20:50:32

I put in a new claim after DH died 4 weeks ago and I'm still waiting. I'm going to call tomorrow to chase it up. I called last week and they said the claim had been recieved and was in progress.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: