Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Returning to full time education and benefits

(6 Posts)
cherrysmum Tue 19-Jul-11 17:47:06

Can anyone tell me if my partner goes to college to do the Access course in order to change career/goto university etc and im working part time whether we would be entitled to any financial help?

I dont want a concise answer just what we could be eligble for etc smile

I know about the online checker things but the tax credit people have told us that as we have been over payed this year they cant give us any answer as to what we would be entitled to at all until we actually submit a claim which isnt of no help as my partner cant really quit his job in the hope that we are not left in a mess.

If anyone has any experience of this I would be grateful!

GypsyMoth Tue 19-Jul-11 17:55:44

whats your partner doing at the moment? working or benefits?

cherrysmum Tue 19-Jul-11 23:03:22

He is working.

loveme2 Wed 20-Jul-11 10:41:07

cherrysmum i would think that your DH would be classed as dependent on you.So any benefits you claim like tax credits would be worked out on your earnings.If you work less then 16hrs you could claim JSA but would have to prove you are looking for a job with more hours.

Danthe4th Wed 20-Jul-11 10:44:55

How many hours do you do? and would you expect childcare help?

cherrysmum Wed 20-Jul-11 13:09:09

Im on maternity leave atm, i go back in sept, im planning on working 16 hours so my mum can look after my daughter so no childcare costs there, its so frustrating that no one ie.hmrc can indicated whats what!!
Your help is much appreciated!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: